We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

basketball hall of fame

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
basketball hall of fame

Hi, coming to Boston in september and would love to visit the H.O.F in Springfield.

I'm having a hard time convincing my fiance that she would enjoy the visit but! What interests are there in Springfield that might help me twist her arm? Also, what is the best way of getting there? Staying at the Collonade hotel, but is there any day trips or direct public transport? Are there any tourist highlights on the road to springfield? perhaps I should hire a car and drive there?

Thanks for an help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,513 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: basketball hall of fame

She may be on the right track. There isn't much from a tourist perspective in that area. If you do decide to go, a rental car is the best bet.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: basketball hall of fame

You definitely need a car. There are some museums in Springfield;

http://www.springfieldmuseums.org/

http://springfield-armory.com/aboutus.php

Also Yankee Candle in South Deerfield:

deerfieldattractions.com/deerfield-shopping/…

In Worcester there is the art museum:

http://www.worcesterart.org/

It depends on what you are interested in.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: basketball hall of fame

Maybe she could stay in Boston while you do the trip to Springfield? I wouldn't want to go to the BHOF either.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: basketball hall of fame

The folliage on the way and dinner in Northampton.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,513 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: basketball hall of fame

There's no foliage color in September and Northhampton is really not on the way to Springfield.

Edited: 9:07 am, July 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: basketball hall of fame

Alan, 

September is not peak color change but there is color change in mid to late September and Northhampton is neighboring town. Yes, you would need a car.

We spent a week in the Springfield area, recently. We visited the Basketball Hall of Fame, The Springfield Quadrangle Museums including the Dr Seuss Garden, we climbed Mount Tom and spent the evenings in Northampton,  Easthampton and Amherst. (We also visited the Yankee Candle mentioned by Howland Owl in South Deerfield.) 

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: basketball hall of fame

I'm with Alan on this, but there is something called "The Big E" out there in September:

http://www.thebige.com/fair/index.asp

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: basketball hall of fame

Not sure what your interests are but the hall of fame is about a 10 to 15 minute drive from Six Flags New England, which is a rollercoaster/amusement park in Agawam. They're only open weekends in September but it might be something.

If you do drive to the Hall of Fame, make sure you bring some cash because you will be taking the Mass. Turnpike out there and it is a toll road so you will need a few dollars for those tolls each way.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: basketball hall of fame

Forgot to mention in my previous post but if you do go to the hall of fame, check their website or call before you go out there because sometimes they close early for private events. Not often but it would be terrible to get there and have it closing early.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: basketball hall of fame

Thanks for the feedback. I'll throw these suggestions her way & see how I go! wish me luck