We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

Ontario
Level Contributor
291 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

Lodging is all booked. I have been looking at the Duck tour and the trolley. The trolley would seem to be a good way to get around the "touristy" parts of the city for two days and includes the tea party museum for about $35. The duck tour is one tour for 80 minutes and basically costs the same. I have heard the duck tour is really good. Is it feasible to purchase both? or am I really duplicating? Just thinking the hop on hop off option on the trolley does make it a good way to get around.

Am I better purchasing a T pass?

First time to Boston so just need some "getting around" advice. We will have a car but are hoping to leave it parked at our hotel after reading about parking and driving fun in Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

Where did you book your lodgings? That might help in deciding between the trolley and a T pass.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

The Duck tour would be a good way to get an intro to the city then use the Trolley tour where you can get off to go to the places that most interested you. I have done both and really enjoyed each one but they are not interchangeable - 1 is a little goofy and fun while the other you can do at your own pace.

Boston...
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

I have done... neither, but if you do decide to buy Duck Tour tickets, check out Goldstar Boston... you can get tickets for $23 + service fees, which makes it a little more affordable, or show your AAA card to save $3.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newton...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

I would say get a T pass at any station. Once you get downtown you can basically walk, hop on a peddy cab ( bicycle cab) , rent a bike ( Hubway) ,etc. Those are just a few but you'll come across more ways to get around. There is a lot more to see and explore on foot as long as you dont mind walking. The duck tours and trolley are def fun without a doubt i definitly recommend them as something to do while your visiting the city. But you want to be able to see things and go places on your own im sure, You'll be much happier with the T pass! You can basically get anywhere from downtown walking within 10/15 minutes. If you get tired, theres train stations everywhere! you'll notice that every two minutes your at a different stop, there all really close to each other. Soooo get down to boston,purchase charlie card( t pass) hop on a peddy cab, walk through fanuiel hall, grab a water taxi etc etc so many things to do! I hope you enjoy your trip!!

regina canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

We were in Boston June 27-July 2 and we took the Duck tour on the 28th and they were right across the street from the Marriott Hotel and for 2 adults it was just under $72. We took the Beantown trolley on July 1 and they have I believe 17 stops where you can jump off and explore and then get back on again and they give a free harbor cruise. Cost was $35 per person. I believe there in a couple of other trolley tours. Enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Beantown Trolley
Beantown Trolley
393 Reviews
Boston, MA
Texas
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

In 2008 I had 'ankle issues' which really slowed us down! The City View trolley was a good solution for us. It took us to some places my ankle couldn't and allowed us the luxury of 'hopping off' when we found something we wanted to explore further. However, we also love the T and really got our monies worth (both in 2008 and last week) out of our 7 day passes ($18.00 per person.)

Good luck and happy planning!

Ontario
Level Contributor
291 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

I've been enjoying reading your TR Teacher and been jotting down some of your suggestions. I also, like to have things planned out somewhat, maybe not quite as much as you but I like to know our options before we go. We are also heading to Newport (staying in Providence) and also Cape Cod for a few days. Your thoroughness is very helpful. How much planning ahead should I put into figuring out the T before we arrive? We are from a rural area and don't use a subway as part of our everyday life. We know the system in Toronto and I found Paris quite easy to use, however NYC was a bit of a challenge.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Boston
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

The Boston subway is easy to use. Not nearly as complex at NYC's.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

Like cabinet said, our T system is pretty easy to use. Check out www.mbta.com for more info. The lines are different colors to make things pretty simple.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trolley vs Duck tour or both?

Subway is cheap and easy but the guided tours give a good overview. You can ask the guide questions and get a little history. I'd recommend picking either duck or trolley for day 1 and then relying in the subway. Wouldn't bother with both on the same trip. Too repetitive.