We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizonans Coming to Boston

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Arizonans Coming to Boston

My husband and I are coming to Boston July 18th to the 23rd, and will be staying at the Hilton Boston Back Bay. I would love any and all advice from those who are "in the know" about what to do in Boston.

I have been researching everything to do, but would love insider information as to where are the best places to eat, drink, and visit. I have always been the one who likes to see the tourist areas, but LOVE those hidden treasures that tourists may not know about.

We will be going to see the Red Sox play the Yankees (go Sox!), but beyond that we have nothing else planned. Would love some good advice.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

What are your interests? Museums? History? Food?

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

Out door activities (love water), history, and definitely enjoy any type of good food and local brew. Husband and I are big sports fans too.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

Visit the Harbor Islands:

http://www.bostonharborislands.org/

Or do a kayak tour on the Charles River:

http://www.paddleboston.com/boston.php

Some other ideas - Adams National Historic Park

http://www.nps.gov/adam/index.htm

Do either the Harpoon or the Sam Adams tour (or both!)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

I like Kendrick's suggestions. For food, we always eat at the Summer Shack on Dalton St. before Red Sox games. It's a local chain with only a couple locations. They have great fish tacos if you like those. Also, you'll have to have dinner some night in the North End (Italian section of Boston). Most restaurants are great, you can't really go wrong there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

If you want to combine an evening on the water and dining at the Summer Shack, you can try the clambake on Spectacle Island.

www.islandalliance.org/spectacleclambake.asp

And I second Kendrick's suggestion of visiting the Harbor Islands. They're one of Boston's hidden gems.

Another way to get out on the water is a sailboat tour of Boston Harbor. There are trips on larger and smaller boats - two suggestions are below.

libertyfleet.com/boston-harbor-sailing/our-f…

http://www.comesailawaynow.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

The first thing you do once you arrive at Logan is to head the massport info desk. Take all the free info on Boston including the maps. This will give you a good head start on what to do.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

Definitely take a trip to the Harbor Islands Park. The Clambake mentioned is a lot of fun as well. The Harpoon Brewery just opened a huge German-style beer hall which you would probably enjoy as well.

harpoonbrewery.com/breweries/boston/beerhall

You might like a Whale Watch tour as well, if you like being out on the ocean.

bostonharborcruises.com/boston-whale-watch/

Edited: 10:02 am, July 10, 2013
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,443 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

I second the Whale Watch recommendation. It can be a pretty spectacular experience.

Of course, you already know about walking the Freedom Trail. In addition, take time to walk through all the back streets of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. It's very charming and interesting.

You may enjoy heading over to the Arnold Arboretum. It's huge, beautiful, and a great way to spend some time. If you rent bikes, you can bike there along the Emerald Necklace. If not, then take the T. Note that in the Arboretum, biking is permitted on paved paths only. You may want to have a lock so that you can explore unpaved areas.

Even if you don't go to the Arboretum, biking would be a fun idea. tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60745-i456-Boston_Mas…

Texas
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

From my recent experience I can second the clambake on Spectacle Island and also the Adams National Historical Park. Totally different experiences but both were memorable and fun!

Edited: 3:11 pm, July 10, 2013
Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arizonans Coming to Boston

Castle Island in South Boston is a good spot to relax and grab a burger/hot dog-type bite to eat. It's a big spot with locals and it's basically a very old castle that does free tours on weekends but I always like to grab some food from Sullivan's restaurant there and sit on the fishing pier on the back side of the castle.

It overlooks the Harbor so it's just a very relaxing place to watch the boats go by. The planes landing and taking off from Logan are right over your head since it's just across the Harbor. There are walking paths and plenty of open grass areas.

It's no longer an actual island, there is a road leading out to it so if you have a car it's very easy to get to, if not there are buses that will get you to the area.

The site for the castle is www.bostonfortindependence.com.