We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

Dallas TX
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

My family of four, kids 12 and 14 are heading to Boston on the 27th. Flight is scheduled to arrive at 2:30 and we are heading to the Red Sox game that night. We don’t have much planned for the next 3 full days we are there other than taking a Duck Tour probably around 11:00 am on Friday (after a long day of travel don’t want to get everyone up to early). We are staying at the Revere Hotel. The only other definite is to do the Freedom Trail. The long range forecast is for rain every day so we may play the order of things based on weather. My questions below

Thursday: Taxi from airport due to lots of luggage (trip doesn’t stop in Boston). Where is the best place to buy a T pass or Re-usable Charlie Card? Should we eat near the Revere Hotel or near Fenway?

Friday: After Duck Tour, head to Harvard square? Get a student tour guide? Eat near prudential or Harvard Square?

Saturday: Freedom Trail. Get a guide?

Sunday: Could try to do a day trip like Salem, Concord/Lexington – kids like the beach – Ferry to P-town? Revere Beach? Thoughts?

Also any shows (other than Blue Man Group) that tickets would be available that are appropriate for kids this age?

Thanks in advance!

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Boston By Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

You will have a great time.

Probably eat at our near Fenway. Revere Hotel Is near Jacob Wirth so don't miss it however at some point.

It won't rain that much ( just my hunch ).

Your kids will love Harvard Square.

My sense is you have all the right ideas.

Edited: 11:48 pm, June 22, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

You can get a T pass at any of the T stations as far as I know. For dinner it'll probably be more busy around fenway on a game night. You may want to eat before you leave your hotel area, unless you want to grab hotdogs in the park. For the freedom trail I don't really think you need a guide but I guess it really depends on how in depth you want to get and how much you want to read as opposed to listening to someone tell you everything. I think a ferry to P-town would be a lot of fun. I've never done it myself but I hear it's 90 minutes each way. So, you should take that into consideration vs taking the T to Revere beach.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

Park Station or Downtown Crossing would be your best bet for your Charlie Card since they have more staff. (They are suppose to be available everywhere but sometimes the plastic cards are hard to find.)  But if you are getting a paper Charlie Link day or weekly pass they are available everywhere.  

It looks like you have a nice rough itinerary and it is wise to be a little flexible. 

A guide vs no guide, is up to you and your personal preference just make sure to make it over to Charlestown. Visit The USS Constitution (there might be long lines for security checks since it is an active Navy Ship and it is getting close to the Fourth of July), The USS Constitution museum next to the ship is worth a quick visit  (small donation.) My kids love walking up all the stairs to the top of The Bunker Hill Monument (free). There is another small Bunker Hill museum across the street that is free and a nice place for a bathroom break. 

Take the inner harbor ferry back to the city from Charlestown to Long Wharf. It offers great views of the city and is pretty inexpensive (free if you have the Charle Link weekly or daily pass) 

You might consider going to the Boston Harbor Islands for your "beach day". The islands offer nice places to walk, relax and to explore the forts. 

Night time activities, walk the Boston HarborWalk, I like to start at Fan Pier ( silver line Courthouse T stop)  then head towards The Moakley Courthouse (where the Whitey Bulger trial is being held) towards the Boston Harbor Hotel. There is live out door music here. Stop for awhile sit on one of the steps to enjoy the music or get up and dance on the blue barge. Continue walking towards the New England Aquarium (see the harbor seals) then continue to the North End and treat yourself to a dessert! The Rose Kennedy Greenway is worth a walk, too. Your kids might enjoy getting wet in the many fountains. (yes, even teens enjoy these!) 

On Friday nights, The Boston Harbor Hotel offers outdoor movies. 

In case of rain: The Aquarium and The Museum of Science offers IMAX movies and the MOS offers evening planetarium shows. 

Enjoy! 

Dallas TX
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

Thanks for all of your help. Thomas - I hope you're right about the rain. We went to San Francisco in March 2011 and got drenched a couple of days. Still had a good time.

Just hope the game doesn't get rained out since already have decent tix.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

I wouldn't worry too much about the rain. The forecast is showing possibility of showers. Almost every day in the summer includes a threat of showers. It often means there are just some in the area and you may not experience one where you happen to be.

6. Re: Coming June 27th, Questions on our rough itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 26, 2014