We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

Hello, We (myself, my husband, daughter age 8, son age 5) will be traveling to Boston in early June. We will be spending Sunday night in Newport RI and plan to drive in Monday morning. (would leaving at 9:30 allow us to to avoid the worst traffic coming into the city?). We will be in Boston until early afternoon Tuesday when we will continue onto Maine. I realize this is a quick visit. My plan is to start our visit with the Duck Tour and spend the rest of the afternoon having lunch at Quincy Market, checking out part of the Freedom trail, visiting Boston Common, and ending with dinner in the North End. Tuesday morning, I'm not sure yet: considering the aquarium, children's museum, more Freedom Trail ???

My initial thought is to stay somewhere near where one of the places that the Duck Tour starts, either the science museum or the prudential center, that way we can park the car and leave it there til the end of our time in Boston. We are open to using transit or taxis while there. Any hotel suggestions near these 2 places or suggestions for a better solution? Any other feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

Hi, your plan looks good on Monday & yes, leaving Newport after 9 am does put you in a better place for the morning commute. I would suggest the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge, right near the Science Museum. They have an excellent summer package which includes complimentary bikes for riding along the Charles River, free boat rides on the Charles and the kids eat free. Parking is a little cheaper in Cambridge, and you can easily access the Green Line of the subway. It also puts you in a good location for getting out of the city & heading north to Maine

www.sonesta.com/Boston/index.cfm…

Our family has stayed in the Sonesta several times and been happy with it, some rooms are larger than others so with a family of four, I would request one of those.

Edited: 11:38 pm, May 12, 2013
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

Note that the Aquarium currently has a construction project going on. You may want to save that for another trip (though tickets are discounted due to that). neaq.org/about_us/…index.php

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

Consider getting your tickets to the Duck Tour ahead of time (or maybe they take reservations) so you don't waste time waiting to get on. I think once you do the Duck Tour, you may get a better sense of what you would like to see, so no real need to have all this planned out ahead of time. But the Duck Tour does not cover all of the Freedom Trail. that's OK -- I think it's great to give yourself time to wander a bit after the Duck.

Consider maybe doing LUNCH instead of dinner in the North End and combining that with exploring the area just a little. The Old North Church is impressive and so is the historic cemetery a short ways away. You should have your choice of restaurants at lunch (and avoid waiting in line), and you can stop later for gelato or a pastry on Hanover Street. You can easily combine the North End with Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market. I'm not sure I would bother with the restaurants there, except that the kids might find Wagamama (noodle place) fun. You can also combine the Faneuil Hall and North End part of town with the other part of the Boston Waterfront -- at the Aquarium and south of there. Don't all kids like a waterfront? There is a public walkway ALL along the waterfront, and there are some cafes and restaurants along the way.

Luckily Boston is pretty compact so you can even change or add to your itinerary last minute. Hope you have a great time!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

In your planning for the Freedom Trail, keep in mind that the USS Constitution is closed on Mondays.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

Thank you all for the wonderful help! I appreciate it so much!

I checked with the Sonesta and they require a 3 night stay in June. :( Any other suggestions for hotels?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

oh, that's too bad! Check out the Marriott Copley Square or the Colannade Hotel (they are actually right near each other)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

What Kendrick meant was the Marriott Copley Place or the Colonnade. However, any hotel in the Copley Square area will work for you, including the Copley Square, Copley Plaza, Westin Copley Place, Sheraton, etc.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

I looked at the Google map and it seems as though the hotels in the Copley area are far away from the Museum of Science (one of the options for boarding the ducks). I was hoping to stay near the Museum of Science so we could park the car at the hotel, and leave it there for the remainder of the day while we ride the ducks and explore. If we were to stay in the Copley area, would you recommend parking at the museum while we are on the ducks, and then driving to the hotel after? Or going immediately to our hotel, leave the car, and then take a taxi (?) to the museum to get on the ducks?

I'm sorry for all the questions...our time is so limited in Boston that I'm trying to be as effiencient with it as possible.

Somerville
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

There's no need to travel to the Museum of Science. The Boston Duck Tours also leave from the Prudential Center www.bostonducktours.com/departurepru.aspx which is in the Copley area.

Edited: 9:40 am, May 14, 2013
10. Re: June trip w/kids, hotel suggestion/itinerary feedback needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 16, 2014