We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline.com for Boston?

Chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Priceline.com for Boston?

I'm looking into booking a 3 or 4-star hotel in Boston for our anniversary trip this August. I'm a little confused on what there is to do in each neighborhood and what types of hotels we could get "stuck" with. I was leaning on Downtown Boston, but I really don't know. I'd love some feedback on where to stay...I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks!

(Here are the neighborhoods...)

Brighton - Brookline

Cambridge

Copley

Downtown Boston - Charlestown

Medford - Somerville

Revere - Logan Airport

South Boston

World Trade Center

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
548 reviews
from $89.10*
$99.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour...
1,007 reviews
from $41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
459 reviews
from $55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
636 reviews
from $76.00*
Chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

Deubster...I spent a good amount of time on biddingfortravel.com last night and finally understand the whole free rebid process. :) Thanks so much for your help.

You guys have been awesome!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

ChicagoJayhawk - Were you successful in your PL bid for a 4* hotel in downtown Boston? How high did you have to bid and what hotel did you get?

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

Never at a lack for words, let me comment on the number of free bid permutations. You should be able to obtain (2^X-1)(2^Y) bids, where X= number of desired zones, Y=number of free rebid zones. Thus Downtown with 3 free rebid zones = (2^1-1)(2^3), or 1x8=8. With DT and Copley, X is 2, so (2^2-1)(2^3) = 3x8=24. DT, Copley, and Cambridge yields (2^3-1)(2^3)=7x8=56 bids. The only way to get 8 bids with one desired zone, however, is if you close your bid session and start new ones at the times shown. Starting new Priceline sessions is the only way to "uncheck" a previously selected zone.

All of the above is just for those wierd mathematical geeks out there (like me). Seriously, though, if you find the information useful, I'd ask you to share your successful bidding results with one or both of the websites mentioned (biddingfortravel and betterbidding). I'll go one step farther and ask you to consider making your bids through the links on their websites. It takes an extra step, I know, but it doesn't cost you anything, and the websites are supported this way. Even if you don't use their links, please share your results to help others with their bids. I have no affiliation with either, I just use them a lot and want them to be as useful as possible.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

The festivities on the 4th take place on the Esplanade, which is along Storrow Drive. The Pops play the 1812 Overture in the hatchshell, which is at the end of the esplanade closest to downtown. It's not too far from Copley and the Commons, and one can easily walk from many of the hotels to the esplanade and back.

The Esplanade gets VERY crowded on the 4th, and most likely you won't be able to actually see the Pops, but they have speakers and large TV screens set up along the grass so you'll be able to hear the music and watch the screens. The first year my husband and friends and I went to the esplanade for the 4th, LeAnne Rhimes and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang, and another year we went David Lee Roth played. It's pretty neat. Usually we try to get there early in the day, about noon, and just sit and picnic all day (take along blankets, folding chairs, and food and drinks) to make sure we have a good spot and enough room. There's usually music playing in the speakers and lots of people around, vendors set up, etc. (As a tip, they'll have port-a-potties set up along the esplanade, but if you walk over to the Commons there's a Starbucks there and I've used their facilities on the 4th to avoid having to go in one of the port-a-potties.) The fireworks are set off from barges on the Charles (the Esplanade is a strip of grass that runs between the Charles and Storrow Drive), and you'll have an excellent view from the grass (just make sure you pick a spot that isn't behind trees). The years we've gone, they close parts of Storrow so people actually walk to and from the esplanade right down the middle of the road.

You should have a great time (my husband and I will be there too!) - Boston is a wonderful place to spend the 4th. And actually, that's where my husband and I got engaged in 2004, right as the fireworks were going off!

Chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

TexasGal...we'll be bidding this weekend I believe. We were hoping to bid earlier, but we just found out of a conference my husband has the beginning of the week. So we're rechecking schedules and what not.

And of course, I'll post my findings. This will be for sometime during the week of August 20th.

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60745-c3316/Boston:M…

To see (and edit/create) more Boston pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60745-s1/…Inside.html

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

Agawam...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

For those of you who haven't had a successful Boston bid on Priceline yet...

I just got my bid accepted today (06-13) for the Courtyard by Marriott at Copley Square. I paid for $140 for a $280 room!

Here's how the bidding went down:

Original bid $155 for a 4 star - Copley area only - declined

2nd bid $150 for a 3 or 4 star - Copley area only - declined

3rd bid $140 for a 2.5, 3 or 4 star -Copley only - Accepted!

Read the reviews on this hotel, folks. 4.5 out of 5 stars, pages of compliments. One thing you have to realize is that Priceline's star ratings don't neccesarily correspond with others sites ratings scales. If you look at the photos of this hotel and read the reviews, I would never put as low as a 2.5 star category!

I'm staying on July 8th. For those of you actually visiting over the 4th holiday, you may want to up your price a little. If you bid today, like I did, there may be a good chance your bid is accepted. Good luck!

cincinnati
4 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

I just used Priceline yesterday for my Mom and lucked out. I do the same as some people said. Pick one area I want and a ridiculously low price at a high star. Then if it is rejected, I pick another area and a lower star and maybe a higher price by like $5 to $10. They are correct that you cannot rebid right away, however, I was able to try again after logging out and back in again. I even used a middle name on one attempt versus the first name and it accepted it. I got the Harborside for $85 a night! I am a flight attendant and have stayed at three different hotels in Boston. This one is beautiful with amazing views of the city at night. There is the T and the water taxi, plus shuttes to and from the airport and the T. No way will she rent a car!

The best way to guess on a price is to find the lowest one you can even if it is only on Priceline and then choose the place your own bid and half it. Also, there is eBay for great deals on vacation places around the world.

Good Luck!

cincinnati
4 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

I just used Priceline yesterday for my Mom and lucked out. I do the same as some people said. Pick one area I want and a ridiculously low price at a high star. Then if it is rejected, I pick another area and a lower star and maybe a higher price by like $5 to $10. They are correct that you cannot rebid right away, however, I was able to try again after logging out and back in again. I even used a middle name on one attempt versus the first name and it accepted it. I got the Harborside for $85 a night! I am a flight attendant and have stayed at three different hotels in Boston. This one is beautiful with amazing views of the city at night. There is the T and the water taxi, plus shuttes to and from the airport and the T. No way will she rent a car!

The best way to guess on a price is to find the lowest one you can even if it is only on Priceline and then choose the place your own bid and half it. Also, there is eBay for great deals on vacation places around the world.

Good Luck!

cincinnati
4 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Priceline.com for Boston?

Good Luck!