We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip New England

UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip New England

Well only 5 days really ! BUt kind of a mini road trip. I want to go from NYC to Boston and get a feel for New England. Thinking of heading up via the Hudson, acrosss the Berkshires and into the White Mountains, then down the coast via Portland. Is this too much over 4 days, leaving just 1 day in Boston. But figure I will come back and do Boston in its own at a later date.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip New England

Hi,

That's an awful lot of driving, but with four days, if you don't mind spending most of your time in the car, it's probably doable. It won't give you much time to get off of the highways, though.

From NYC, if you drive north on the NY Thruway to Albany, that's 3 hours. From there, you pick up I-90, the Mass Pike extension. That will take you into the Berkshires. At that point, you are three hours from Boston.

It really depends on what you want to see more of, the coastline or the mountains. From the Mass Pike, you could get off on Route 7 north into VT, and travel up through VT to Burlington and Lake Champlain. That's certainly stereotypical New England.

Maine is beautiful also, and the Maine coastline can keep you busy for all four days all by itself. So, you could drive straight through MA on the Mass Pike (I90) and then take I-495 to go around Boston and pick up I-95 into Maine. Then you can drive up the Maine coast to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. That's four days right there.

I guess what I'm saying is that you could probably rush around to everything in the four days, but you'd be driving like crazy on the highway to cover all that ground, so maybe it's better to pick a smaller area. You will still get the flavor of the area, for sure.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip New England

A lot of windshield time!! If I had to shorten the trip just to maintain your sanity, I would forego the coast until your next visit. You can then drive down Rt.93 from the White Mountains into the city. If you go into the Hudson valley, a must is the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Probably THE most beautiful college campus in America. A true feel of the Maine coast would have to include areas north of Portland.

3. Re: Road Trip New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 15, 2009