We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expressions of Sympathy

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Expressions of Sympathy

I know several of these threads have been shut down, but I would hope that the TA monitors would realize the importance of allowing us to reach out. Those of us, who are researching an upcoming trip to Boston, spend many hours here over the course of days, weeks, months, and in some cases years. I planned my first trip to Boston in 2008. I recognize many of the DE's, locals, and regulars who were there then and are still here now offering words of wisdom, opinions, and advice. It seems somewhat callous to come on this site to ask about rental cars, where to get a great Italian dinner, or a particular hotel and for us to not offer condolences, support, concern, and prayers. Please TA, allow us to send some love your way!

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you all in your time of sorrow!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

Thanks teacher. that means a lot to us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

I also offer my sympathy to you all. You have been so helpful to me over the past few months. We are due to arrive on Saturday week and I somehow feel that we should not be going. Not because I don't want to go, but I feel you all have just so much happening in your lives at the moment, that to have to deal with tourists may be too much. On the other hand, I tell myself if I don't go, they have won.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

One other important factor is that Boston is TA's home city with its offices based in the suburb of Newton. I assume that many TA staff members live in this historic city centre or its suburbs. Some may have run in the Boston marathon.

So I am sure that the whole TA community (users whatever our TA status) extends a simple 'our prayers and thoughts are with you at this time'. Given that Melbourne, Australia and Boston, USA are 'sister cities' (a concept that comes in for some criticism at times), I will be saying prayers at Mass for those who are suffering.

The travel relevance is that access to some hotels has been cut off from what I read.

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

I am feeling the same, due to go in a few weeks. However, thinking with my head not my heart I think that best thing to do us to go, and support the local hotels, the shops, the restaurants etc. Would hate them to feel abandoned, as I am sure Boston thrives off the tourism. The taxes will also pay for the police and the emergency services etc, so feel by going I am contributing to something good.

Perth
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

I love Boston and just know that we are thinking of you.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

We Bostonians are hardy stock. Anyone who is planning a trip here should come as planned and know that they will be welcomed with open arms. The city is safe and open for business for the most part, certainly 100% by another few days or so. It was a horrible tragedy, all the more so because it's ruined the Marathon and Patriot's Day festivities forever. Before, when people talked about the History of the Marathon, the worst thing they could talk about was Rosie Ruiz, or how it was 90 degrees that one year.

Now, it's just ruined.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

We were shocked by what we saw on the news here last night, our thoughts are with all of you there. Boston is a great city, we have loved our visits and it's such a lovely area where this happened. All being well you will bounce back soon.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

Thanks for everyone's expressions of sympathy. For those wondering about visiting, I can say that the city is fully functioning today, except in the explosion area where the investigation is continuing. The city will welcome you because we know that the best way to win is not to let this affect the way we live.

Boston Magazine posted an article today entitled "6000 More Reasons to Love Boston." bostonmagazine.com/news/…

I think visitors past and present will enjoy its positive message, especially after all the bad news.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

I'll agree with ting and Beantown. Despite my name, I'm a regular Boston guy. The city is somber today, but people are resolute and will rebound. Come to Boston folks, we'll be happy to see you as always.

LMM

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expressions of Sympathy

Thank you everybody worldwide for your continued support. Yes, please come visit us. You will be welcomed with opened arms.

Please note that the closed post has been reopened. I contacted one TA staffer via private messaging and also sent a generic "contact us" email. I suspect others did likewise and more expressed their disappointment in various threads. TA has heard us and reopened threads. I suspect some of the threads may have been closed by the computer, not a human. I applaud TA for responding positively to all the voices of reason.