We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Key Largo, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

First trip to Boston for a couple in mid 60's taking a cruise from there up the coast. Plan to spend 2 days before cruise seeing the sights and drinking in the history of this great city. We are looking for recommendations on public transport from airport to hotel, hotel recommendations within easy walking distance to downtown historic sites and harbor and public transport from hotel to cruiseline pier. Could subway system accomodate those transfers? What should we make a point to see if we like old buildings, history, seafood and the water? Our hotel budget will be stretched I know, looking at downtown hotel costs, but would appreciate recommendations if that's the place to be.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

Yes, you can take Public Transportation from the airport to The Cruise Terminal and to Downtown. The Cruise Terminal is a little bit off the beaten path for a recommended hotel stay but it accessible via the Silver Line to both the airport and Downtown.

Walking the Freedom Trail is a must if you enjoy old buildings. I would recommend a tour of The Boston Public Library, too.

Enjoy!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

What are your dates. Hotel prices vary from day to day depending on what is going on in town. How much would you like to spend?

If you are into history & old buildings you may enjoy the Omni Parker House. The Freedom Trail runs by its Front door AND side door. It is a 5-8 minute walk to 4 subway lines and you can reach the cruise port from there via subway or a very short taxi rise; probably under $15 including tip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

First time to Boston as a tourist, Parker House is a good choice.

Key Largo, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

Thanks for the replies. We will be there Thurs 8/15 to Sat 8/17 when our cruise leaves. Glad you suggested the library - my husband loves them! I am trying to find something in the $175-$225 range (cleanliness, bed comfort and easy accessibility for walking/public transport are the priorities). Planning to do the Freedom Trail, hop on/off trolley? and/or duck tour.

I will check out the Parker House. I found a good price for the Hyatt Harborside near the airport and it mentions a water taxi service both to downtown and cruise terminal. Is that a reasonable & reliable way to get to and from downtown...sounds like fun.

Would also love some restaurant choices - the ones locals use. We aren't fancy - just enjoy great food and maybe the ambience of the outdoors, water and city lights.

Again - thanks for your input.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

If you do not mind taking a water taxi in and out then The Hyatt Harborside will be a good choice for you with your love for water and city lights! It is easy access to both the airport & the cruise terminal. It offers a great skyline view of the city. They have a nice outside patio with fire pits with  fantastic views of the Boston Skyline. You can also take the shuttle bus to the Blue Line to get into the city and to the Silver Line to get to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. 

The Freedom Trail is a must do. Take your Duck Tour from the Prudential, where you will be near the Boston Public Library, take the free McKim Building tour if you have the time. I would also suggest going to the free outdoor concert at the Boston Harbor Hotel to get a reverse view of the harbor, you will see your hotel across the harbor from this vantage point.

Rino's in East Boston is a quick taxi ride. It is located in an urban neighborhood is a great choice for Italian homemade pasta but you also need to have one Italian meal or a cannoli in Boston's North End 

Enjoy! 

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

I personally don't think the Hyatt Harborside is a good choice. You cannot walk to any historic sites or much of anything else. According Massport's website the water taxi is $10 per person ONE WAY. One round trip to the city via water will cost you $40.

Stay in town. You won't regret it

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

Forgotmypword,

The OP indicates she wants a hotel convenient to the airport and Black Falcon. She likes the idea of the water taxi. She still has the convince of being close to the T's Blue Line via the airport shuttle. She is only staying two nights. 

I would not say it is the ideal location for most tourist but it seems to fit what she is looking for.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

TA would not let me edit ......

but I wanted to add that she will have free transportation from the airport to the hotel and possibly free transportation to Black Falcon Terminal if the MBTA is still offering their complimentary ride on the outbound Silver Line in August.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

Remay the OP also says "Plan to spend 2 days before cruise seeing the sights and drinking in the history of this great city".

Only she knows which is most important to her. I've been to a couple of great functions at the Hyatt but there's not a lot of what most tourists consider Boston history nearby.

Key Largo, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need hotel with easy access frm airport & to cruise port

You've both given me good food for thought. Thank you. I did check out Parker House, but that is a bit over our budget. Any other suggestions? I also found two possibilities in the financial district if that's a more convenient area than the Hyatt Harborside for what I am trying to accomplish. The Hyatt as well as other hotels around airport offer shuttle service to/from airport and MBTA. I just need to weigh the difference in hotel costs against convenience for downtown sightseeing. How long does it take to get into downtown frm the airport on the subway? And do they run late enough to get back to our hotel at night?

I agree, the water taxi may be a splurge, but I understood you could get a discounted ticket through the hotel??

Regarding the MBTA...how can I get familiar with the various lines, schedules, etc. before we get there. Also want to find out more about the possibility of a free ride to the cruise terminal.

One last questions - are the museums downtown as well? Which do you recommend?

Sorry - one question seems to lead to another!