We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July Fireworks

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4th of July Fireworks

We are thinking about coming to Boston for the 4th of July fireworks. With 3 kids, I'd like to watch from our hotel. Where would you recommend staying? Also, we've never been to Boston, what kid-friendly activities would you recommend?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

Search for "hotels to watch fireworks" in the box above.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

How old are the kids? I just think it is so much better to be closer to the fireworks, but if they are young uns I can understand why you'd want to watch from your hotel as they do not go off until around 10:30 p.m. (In the old days it was a more family friendly time). As for kid friendly activities, check out bostonharborfest.com. There are a myriad of activities. And again, if you let us know how old the kids are we can further direct you. Welcome to the forum!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

I could be wrong, but odds are, they'll end up watching TV in the hotel room. Not easy to compete with whatever the favorite show is these days.

So much more fun outside at least for some of it. They sell glow-in-the-dark things and there's lots of people there.

Unless they're tiny tiny, I'd venture out, at least for some of it.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

"Lots of people" is an understatement. If you want a good place to spread your blanket you have to get there very early.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

If you go strictly to watch the fireworks then the cambridge side of the river is an excellent choice as you do not need to camp out the entire day.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

My kids will be 8,5, & 1. With a 1 year old, I don't feel comfortable with the crowd & I don't think she'd make it until 10:30. We'll probably have to wake up my 5 year old too. If there is someplace that we could get a balcony room, we'd be able to enjoy the celebration & not have cranky kids on a small blanket!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

More than understand your situation! I would call the Royal Sonesta and the Marriott in Kendall Square and inquire if they have balconies (not sure they do- have stayed at that Marriott which was very nice) and/or if they have a room with a view of the river.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

Thank you so much for your help. Having never been to Boston, let alone during your 4th of July celebration, it's kind of overwhelming!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

Make sure you tell the hotel you're needing a view of the fireworks, not just the river. Those aren;t necessarily the same.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4th of July Fireworks

The Royal Sonesta in Cambridge, or the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge will probably both have at least some views of the fireworks from rooms facing the river.