We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Boston in March?

Laval
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Boston in March?

We're going to Boston for three days & traveling with two kids. What can we do that is fun for the whole family?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

How old are your kids? What does your family like to do? Some things to consider: children's museum, museum of science, museum of fine arts (mummies!). Freedom trail , behind the scenes tour at Old North Church go to a cafe in the North End, shop at Quincy market, go to see blue man group.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

I'd suggest you look at the Trip Pages here for a start and then ask some more specific questions that we can answer for you.

Laval
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

Sorry, my first time asking questions on a forum. The kids like museums & parks. They're both under 10 years old. My spouse likes to shop (so I was thinking the outlets at Wrentham). I like sports & would like to tour where the Celtics & Bruins play. How much is parking in downtown Boston? If I stay outside Boston, should I take public transport to get around?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

You'll want a car to go to Wrentham, but otherwise if you stay in Boston, you don't want a car. It's very expensive to park in the city. The Celtics and Bruins play at the the TD Garden. I'm not sure if you can tour the place. I didn't see anything on the website: http://www.tdgarden.com/garden/index.html. If you stay outside of Boston, you'll want to be close to a subway line, but honestly it might not be worth it by the time you pay to park at the subway and then tickets for your family in and out, etc.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

They run tours of the TF Garden through the Sports Museum there. If you use the link bmoruzzi provided, click on the FAQ section, then on the letter "t" for tours, and you will get the info. They don't run tours every day in March. The Natural History Museum at Harvard is also a good family activity, if you are in Cambridge.

Laval
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. I appreciate the help. It just goes to show, people helping people, makes all the difference!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

You can tour Fenway Park if that interests you. Parking downtown during the week can run in the $30 range. It's less on the weekends. No need for a car if you are staying downtown. There are bus excursions to Wrentham, so that's an option to consider.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

You should definitely hit the Children's museum and the Museum of Science. The kids will LOVE both.

You should be able to get Bruins tickets if they are playing at home when you are here, just check http://bruins.nhl.com for information. Same for the Celtics, although those might be a bit more difficult to come by, and more expensive.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/

As for shopping, personally I'm not a fan of Wrentham Outlets at all, but I suppose the allure is too great for you to pass up. You would need to drive there, though. It's way out in the suburbs.

As for Parks, your kids would probably like ice skating at the Frog Pond in Boston Common.

Parking attached to downtown hotels is very expensive, $35-$40/night. Staying outside of Boston to get free parking and driving or taking the T is also an option. Check the forum for those discussions, or the recently-posted "Top Question".

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

The nice thing about sightseeing Boston in March is less crowded but u may have snow! I'm sure you are used to that white stuff! You can still do lots of things in March as noted in above posts. The museums are nice to visit. Our gchildren love the Science Museum and your children are at a good age to appreciate it.

There is a wonderful Museum of Natural History located in Cambridge that you could visit if you had time. We went there w/ our two grandsons, it's small but lots to see, think your kids would like it. Depending upon where you stay, you could take the T there. I am not sure which line u would take.

http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu/

I live near the Wrentham Village Premium Outlets so go there often. There are many tour busses that go there all the time. You could take the bus from Boston and shop there all day. You could drive if you wanted to, it's a direct route from Boston.

taketours.com/boston-ma/wrentham-village-out…

http://www.bostoncommoncoach.com/rates.php

There are other transport busses as well, just google.

As far as eating, no problem in Boston! Lots of great restaurants.

Depending upon the weather, you could do the Freedom Tour walking trail. You can always go to North End for Italian and Fanueil Hall as well. Old North Church, Paul Revere's house, and other attractions as well.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 8:58 am, March 08, 2013
Los Angeles...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Boston in March?

Boston has a truly wonderful Children's Museum. The Museum of Science is also really cool--make sure you check out a movie at the Omni Theater there!