We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport and shopping

Nottingham
Level Contributor
91 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Transport and shopping

We will be visiting Boston over the Easter weekend (getting excited!) and have a couple of questions that I have been unable to find answers to:

1) Taxis from Logan airport - I believe the cost will be about $40 to Fenway Park. How long is the journey likely to take (flight lands at 14.45 on Friday) and will we have any problems getting a taxi large enough for 4 adults with 4 suitcases?

2) Will shops on Newbury Street be open on Easter Sunday (1st April)? We would like to follow the 'Freedom Trail' on this day and then have a look around the shops. Will we have any problems with attractions/restaurants being closed?

Many thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport and shopping

Your taxi estimate sounds about right. That amount includes the 'airport adder', tolls, fare and tip. Remember, the taxi meter will NOT include a tip, you need to add it in on your own.

Easter Sunday is March 31st. Do you mean "Easter Monday", which is April 1st? This is not a holiday in the US and everything will operating as any Monday. However, the USS Constitution (a stop on the Freedom Trail) is not opened on Mondays, and, I'm not sure if Paul Revere's House (another Freedom Trail stop) will still be operating on it's "slow season" schedule.

If you really do mean SUNDAY ... well then you need to be aware that there

are several churches on the freedom trail. On all Sundays, they have services and restrict tourism activity during those periods.

As for shops ... most do open on Sundays, but on Easter Sunday, I know that in the past, Macy's has closed that day, but I can't speak for others.

Restaurants will be opened, but some will have special menus for that day.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
91 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport and shopping

Many thanks for such a speedy detailed response!

In my excitement I have muddled my days/dates! I was actually meaning Easter Sunday (31st March). In the UK it is the only Sunday that shops are not allowed to trade and I wondered if it applied to Boston too.

Thanks for your help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport and shopping

You'll find most, if not all shops closed on Easter Sunday. Many restaurants also close that day and many of those that are open will have special menues by reservation.

Edited: 10:09 am, March 03, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport and shopping

Four adults will fit into a cab but it will be tight. Depends on the suitcase size but luggage has to go in the trunk and not inside the cab. If it does not fit you'll need to request a mini van or seek a second cab or use the t.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
91 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport and shopping

Thanks for the information.

When we flew into JFK there were lots of estate/mini van taxis at the airport and I was wondering if it would be the same at Logan or if it would be easier to organise transport in advance?

Think we will still do Freedom Trail on Easter Sunday but will re-think the shopping in light of the replies.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport and shopping

There will be some minivan taxis, which you can request. There is generally an extra $5 charge.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
619 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport and shopping

"Many restaurants also close that day and many of those that are open will have special menues by reservation."

I am also going to Boston over Easter weekend, and also starting to get excited :-) Anyway, as I was reading this reply, I'm wondering to what extent will it be difficult to eat, exactly? I don't think we'll mind much the shops etc. being closed, we often like to just walk around and take in the sights. But will it be very difficult to find places to eat (i.e. only fast-food places open??)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport and shopping

You can certainly eat at most levels. Hotel restaurants will all be open as well.

Take a look at one of the Boston TA's poster's blog:

bostonzest.com/2013/02/easter-dining-in-bost…

where Penny provides information and links for what's open on Easter.

You won't starve or be relegated to fast food, for sure.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
619 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport and shopping

Thanks for the blog link, extremely useful!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport and shopping

One option for any holiday is to go to Chinatown.