We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

Vermont
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

We want to stay outside of Boston, but not too too far. Like 20 minute or so commuter train ride. Just an over night so nothing fancy, and reasonable as we either have get 2 rooms. And since we're not from the area a nice safe area would be great too. Any suggestions? Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

Hyatt Place in Medford sounds like it would meet your needs.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

number of hotels on speen street in Framingham/Natick line that are close.

also Red Roof inn on Rt 30 (cochituate rd) n Framingham.

Where are you going after this night? might make a difference.

You could stay just outside the airport area on Rt 1. Plenty of relatively cheap places that are just a few minutes from blue line and downtown. not the prettiest area but perfectly safe to stay overnight.

since you will have a car, you really could stay just about anywhere as the spider web of the commuter rail and T is pretty extensive so nothing is "too far".

Vermont
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

ok, thanks so much for the suggestions!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

If its okay iI jump in this thread. I had the same idea. Going to be coming in from toronto to see jays@sox in may. Figured I would stay at the red roof right off I90 in framingham. Is there a 3 day or even a week pass to use on all mbta services? There is only 2 of us so didn't want to drive downtown.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

There is a weekly pass for the T, but that's not going to help you come in from Framingham. First, it covers only the stations in the area closest to Boston, and the station in Framingham is nowhere near your hotel.

Edited: 1:06 pm, February 27, 2013
Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

From a map it's just north it seems

Toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

Looking at a map the hotel is just north of the station. It just seemed like the most convenient place to stop. Never had a problem when staying at red roofs. The main reason to stay outside of Boston was price and some hotels outside cities still let you smoke. I don't mind walking out the door but I didn't want to have to go on an elevator, and through the lobby to smoke.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

Just so you know, it's really quite far. Framingham is a big town geographically Far enough that it's not walkable, although you can take a taxi there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

You probably don't want something on the Commuter Rail, which is much more expensive than the subway and runs less frequently. There are hotels in Quincy and Braintree convenient to the Red Line. There's a hotel near the North Quincy T stop called the Adams Inn that sounds like it might work for you. It's a renovated chain type hotel, not huge. It would be steps outside to get a cig break, if that's important to you.

I wouldn't ever recommend Framingham for someone visiting Boston unless you have some specific reason to be there. It's not at all convenient to the city. Go to MBTA.com and see the difference in train frequency and schedules in terms of city access. Also, there is a big cost difference between taking the T and taking the Commuter Rail.

Edited: 2:48 pm, February 27, 2013
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels outside of Boston on the commuter train line

Psst! The Commuter Rail IS the T.