We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Boston

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Boston

We are planning our first trip to Boston. We plan to go approx Sept 12-19th. The only thing we have planned is to take in the 3 game MLB series against New York. I am hoping for a recommendation for where to stay. We do not need anything fancybut just clean as we only plan to sleep there! I would like it central so we can make the most of our time there. Also what else are must do's? My husband is a huge sports fan so we may take in a football game but that is it for sports! I want to experience and see as much as I can!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Boston

Have a look at the Top Questions about Boston in the right column of this webpage. Two of your questions are covered there. If you have specific questions about specific hotels or sights we are happy to help.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Boston

What is your budget for hotels?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Boston

Take a look at the Liberty Hotel.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Boston

Go to www.googlemaps.com and search for "hotels in Kenmore Square..."

This will display a map with many highlighted hotels in the area.

Although I've never satayed here, I've seen many recommendations for the Hoteel Buckminster. Historic hotel right in Kenmore Sq and within a couple hundred yard of Fenway. Just looked real quick at the hotel. Interestingly, this is where the Black Sox scandal was hatched.

If you are going to Yankee games, they are notoriously long affairs (both clubs very patient at the plate, taking lots of pitches, plus when televised nationally - too many commercial breaks). Poiint being, if a late night game, I'd prefer to stay right to the end (can't miss "Dirty Water") and then pop in for an after game drink neaarby, then stagger back to your hotel.

Plus, you've got the MBTA (green line?) right there to takee you whereever you want to go.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Boston

There's also a Howard Johnson's a block or 2 away.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,270 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Boston

Fenway Park is also walking distance from most Back Bay hotels.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Boston

We really haven't set one but the way we look at it is the less we spend on rooms the more we spend on doing things. It would be nice to spend less than $250.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Boston

It's an expensive time of year to visit, so knowing your target budget is important.

Back Bay would be a great choice for easy access to Fenway and also to tourist attractions, but really any centrally located hotel near the T would be fine.

The Howard Johnson's is really pretty awful.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Boston

All hotels in Boston are near Fenway Park.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Boston

To echo Thomas144, you shouldn't necessarily worry about staying in a hotel near Fenway Park; by taking the MBTA ('T') green line train to Kenmore Square and walking to Fenway, like hordes of people do every game, you can stay anywhere that is convenient to the T, which is to say, almost anywhere in downtown Boston. Especially if you will be spending the majority of your days doing the normal tourist things like the Freedom Trail and only spending 3 nights at Fenway.