We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia to Boston by Train

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Philadelphia to Boston by Train

I will be working near Philadelphia in March and I want to go visit my cousin in Boston for the weekend. The direct flights with US Airways are already £255 so I've been looking at the train. The Acela Express is $289 and takes a little over 5 hours. In comparison a business class ticket on the Norteast Regioanl train is only $105 and takes just over 6 hours.

I will have luggage with me, as I will have been in the US for 2 weeks. Probably 1 bag of around 20 kilos plus hand luggage.

I'm looking for up to date advice on what the Business Class on Northeast Regional train is like. What extra do you get on the Acela Express that you don't get on the Regionla train (the route I am taking does not allow checked baggage on either train).

Any other options I can consider?

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
675 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
585 Reviews
from $55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,102 Reviews
from $44.05*
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
188 reviews
1. Re: Philadelphia to Boston by Train

"(the route I am taking does not allow checked baggage on either train)."

You get there faster and there are slightly more comfortable seats. That being said, its really not worth the difference in price. All my quoted statement means is that you have to carry your own luggage onto the train. There are shelves above your seats or an area in the front of the car to put it.

I would just take the Northeast Regional.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,756 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Philadelphia to Boston by Train

The Acela trains have all regular seating as "Business Class". They also have first class. So, Business Class on the Regional train is equivalent to Acela-level seating.

The big difference is that time savings on Acela. It's faster and makes fewer stops. That is really the only difference. Only you can decide if you want to save that hour of travel for that additional price.

Your other options are flying or taking the bus. The Bus is going to be much slower and less comfortable than the Train, at about 1/3 the cost. The plane will be somewhat faster than even the Acela, at about 2 times the cost...unless you manage to snag a special deal on the flights.

Edited: 12:45 pm, February 11, 2013
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Philadelphia to Boston by Train

Thanks for the info. I think I will take a chance and go with Northeast Regional then :o)

Wynnewood...
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Philadelphia to Boston by Train

Phila to Boston by plane is very hard and expensive because only USAir has the route. fares are $300 and up! --I live in Phila and fly from Atlantic City for lower fares --but that route was just stopped for the winter. Air Tran is starting service at the end of Mayfrom Phila to Boston for less money .. that said, I'm taking the train for $59 one way and $121 back in February. The only difference w/ Acela is a bit shorter time for more money....

5. Re: Philadelphia to Boston by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 15, 2014