We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

Milwaukee
5 posts
Save Topic
memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am going to be in Boston from late evening on 5/26 - early morning 5/30. I am planning to go to Cape Cod on one of the days (27-29). I wonder what would be the best way to get to the Cape (should I drive or take the fast ferry) from Boston. Will I need a car in Cape Cod? What is a must-see in the cape or which part of the cape?

I will greatly appreciate any advice!

Candy

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

a few questions... are you staying overnight on the cape or just trying to go for the day? What would you like to do/see while there? Are you staying in Boston?

As I'm sure you know that weekend is crazy busy for the Cape. The drive would be rough from Boston. The ferry is a lot of fun to Provincetown adn if its just a day trip I would recommend the ferry... there is a lot to do in Provincetown without a car, although if you wanted to go anywhere else it would be tough without a car. I'm sure there are some tours or buses to some cool dunes/ beaches... and there are plenty of restaurants and shops right off the Ferry in Ptown.

Milwaukee
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

Hi calvinmum,

Thanks for your quick and great reply. I am planning for a day trip to Cape Cod. I have never been to Cape Cod and actually am not familiar with it. Taking the fast ferry sounds like a plan. I am actually interested in seeing some nice naturnal scenaries. Any suggestions? or Any other must-go places (restaurants, locations, etc)?

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

I think for just a day, PTown is the only way to go, and, by ferry. Look at the chamber of commerce web site (www.ptownchamber.com) and look for a good sand dune tour or something. You an also rent bikes and I'm sure there are maps. You might try posting on the cape cod forum as there are more "experts" on cape cod. I just visit from time to time in the summer. I love PTown... so I will always recommend it... and my family loves taking the ferry as it eases all driving stress. The rest of the cape is fairly inaccesible without a car... there are buses, but its not known for being terribly convenient I don't think. Also, I hate to even mention it... because I think it should be a non-issue... but if you are uncomfortable with people living alternative lifestyles... then PTown may not be for you....

I hope all this helps! Have fun!

Milwaukee
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

Thanks again for your suggestions. I think I check out the dunes tour and bike through them. Since I will also be in Boston for two whole days on the Memorial Day's weekend, any suggestions?

Candy

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

If you are going to Ptown via the fast ferry, there are two different ferry lines with slightly different schedules -- Boston Harbor Cruises and Bay State Cruise Company -- which leave from different locations in Boston. Look on their websites for times and fares. Both take 90 minutes each way. Both Boston locations are easily accessible by public transportation.

Milwaukee
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

Thanks for the useful info on the different cruise lines!

7. Re: memorial day weekend: going to cape cod from boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, August 13, 2009