We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

Hi everyone,

My friend and I will be coming down this March to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, as well as her birthday (which happens to fall on the same day!). We came down a couple of years ago for the same reason and had a great time but regrettably missed the parade.

This time we're making sure to catch it - I've already gotten plenty of info on the parade by reading other topics - but am wondering if I could get some advice on a fun spot for a few libations after the parade in the same area....ideally with someone playing some covers or whatever on guitar, but not 100% necessary. I really don't know much at all about Southie (this will be my 5th trip to Boston since 2010 but we usually stick to the same few areas), so not sure if there are some good spots (where we could get in!) there, or whether we would be advised to head back closer to our hotel (Harborside Inn) after the parade and look for something there.

What time does the parade usually wrap up? I'm a bit concerned that, because it's a weekend, it will be tough to get in anywhere at that time, but I suppose we'll find something!

Thanks in advance for any advice - dying to get back to Boston :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

I'm not super familiar with Southie, I always get lost despite the fact that the streets are lettered and numbered. But, that being said, I've been to Amrheins a few times and the food has always been good. http://amrheinsboston.com.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

I think you'll have a tough time getting into any bars in Southie on St Pats unless you arrive very early and are prepared to pay a big cover. But maybe others have had luck?

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

Southie on St Patty's day is crazy. You'll need to get to the parade early to get within eyeshot - it fills up! And that includes bars. If you want music in a bar, you better go there when they first open and get a seat (in which case, maybe try for one on the parade route so you can see it from inside). You'll be hard pressed to get into any bars in southie after the parade.

That said, there will be a million (ALL) bars in Boston celebrating St Pattys with green beer and everything you'd get in Southie. My advice is to move on once the parade is over to another good boston bar. It'll be green everywhere no matter.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

the bottom line is Southie bars are not allowed to let people in after the parade so you need to come up with another plan.

Even if that rule were to be abolished, it wouldn't matter because you'd never get into an Irish bar after the parade in Southie.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

Yes, it can very busy during the parade, but the persistent do find places, just hard to get in because it is packed with people. There is no drinking on the street and the police will arrest anyone carrying alcoholic beverages. However, there are many games that some folks try to play to drink on the street by putting the beer in plastic cups, and then putting it down on the ground when police come by, but this is not what anyone would recommend because it is a serious offense. Once the parade wraps up and they are cleaning up, it is very possible you will get into the bars since the majority of parade watchers are leaving.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

Here's a link to last year's press release from the city on the special rules for St Patrick's Day.

www.cityofboston.gov/news/default.aspx…

I would assume they will do the same this year.

"To encourage people to get home safely on Sunday after all-day parade celebrations, the City has ordered package stores and bars in South Boston to close early on Sunday, March 20, 2011. Package Stores will close at 4 PM and bars must close by 7:30 PM on Sunday."

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

There very much is drinking on the street atthe parade. Brown Bag/solo cupping seems to be tolerated as long as you are coy about it.. The cops are only gonna go after the blatantly under-aged or over-inebriated (there will be plenty of both!)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, much appreciated. That info on the closing times in Southie is especially interesting.

Based on all that, I think we'll just head back near our hotel afterwards and try to find somewhere where we can plant ourselves for the rest of the afternoon and into the evening! I always get sucked into Sissy K's (total dive, I know, but I love the guitar guy!), but will try to resist and attempt something new, perhaps somewhere less 'touristy'. :)

Really looking forward to it!

Dracut...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

The Local 149 on P Street is a fantastic bar in southie right near the parade route. They will be doing brunch until 2pm and the cover is only going to be $5.00.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet Another St. Patrick's Day Question - Southie Bars

The Parade is the Parade... It's loads of fun but also can be crazy. It's elbow-to-elbow, nose-to-back crowds in places, college kids acting like lunatics...I've never gone pub-hopping that day, just house parties, but I've seen the pubs packed. It's loads of fun, but if you're looking for a restful time at the pub, this isn't it.

There will be plenty of Irish atmosphere in the city. Places downtown should be less crowded. Check our the Harp at North Station, Kinsale near Govt Ctr, or any of the Irish places near Faneuil Hall (Black Rose, etc) check websites in advance so you can determine which place has the atmosphere/music you're looking for. .

Whatever you do, you're in a great city for St. Patrick's Day! Have fun!