We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Helotes, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Hi! I need help/suggestions planning a 5 night/6 day trip for family of four to Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, & Cape for mid or last week of Jun 2013. Travelers include husband and two teenagers. Will be flying in and out of BOS Logan. Is it best to visit Boston, Cambridge (Harvard) or the cape first? I was planning on Boston two nights, then Cambridge one night, driving to Plymouth and Cape with one night stay in one of the cape towns. Head back to Boston next day with last night stay near airport. Or would it be best to start with cape, Plymouth, Cambridge and end with Boston? What tours, sights should we visit in each of these locations? Husband likes history, daughter & son like to be active and beach, I like sightseeing/tours. What about transportation from one location to another?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

First, Boston and Cambridge are together, so plan on 3 nights in Boston and you can easily subway over to Harvard Square even for just an evening. And it's probably not worth to drive to Cape Cod and stay for only a night. You can add that to Boston, too, and take the ferry to Provincetown as a day trip if you're gonna feel like you're missing out.

Edited: 9:51 pm, January 23, 2013
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Cambridge borders on Boston and they are connected by a subway. From Harvard Square Cambridge to the Boston ;Common is 15 minutes or less on the subway.

Plymouth isvery close to the cape. I would make that a stop on the way to (or from ) the Cape and not bother with an overnight there. This is assuming you are renting a car.

I think I would fly to Boston, go to the Cape and then return for your Boston stay ... if you don't plan on renting a car, the ferry to Provincetown is your best option ... but it is difficult to see other parts of teh Cape and Plymouth without a car, especially if your time is limited.

HAPPY PLANNING!!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Cambridge borders on Boston and they are connected by a subway. From Harvard Square Cambridge to the Boston ;Common is 15 minutes or less on the subway.

Plymouth isvery close to the cape. I would make that a stop on the way to (or from ) the Cape and not bother with an overnight there. This is assuming you are renting a car.

I think I would fly to Boston, go to the Cape and then return for your Boston stay ... if you don't plan on renting a car, the ferry to Provincetown is your best option ... but it is difficult to see other parts of teh Cape and Plymouth without a car, especially if your time is limited.

HAPPY PLANNING!!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

There are beaches near Boston ... see this recent thread. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k606991…

Helotes, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Thanks! As you can tell this will be our first time visiting Boston and surrounding areas. I guess we can skip Plymouth and spend more time at the cape. After taking the ferry to Provincetown is there a place we can rent a car to visit other towns/beaches at the Cape. What is the best Cape town/hotel to spend the night?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Just know that Provincetown is not representative of the rest of the Cape at least not the 'downtown' part. If you come over to Provincetown on the ferry one of the car rental companies that you can check on is Enterprise. Maybe they have a location in Ptown by now but last time I looked they were in Orleans however they will come and pick you up. It would indeed be a good idea to be able to get out and travel at least down the Outer and Lower Cape and just enjoy that part of the area. The order in which you plan your stay might be decided by where you can get accommodations for less than three nights, the usual minimum in season in Provincetown.

Since your husband enjoys American history I was going to suggest you visit the Upper Cape. Sandwich is the oldest town on the Cape and Falmouth runs a very interesting free history walk once a week. You might also be able to stay ON the beach at Seacrest in Falmouth which fronts on the Cape's warmest (and calm) water. To do this plan though you would need to get the rental car in Boston and drive down.

You have a lot of options. Enjoy your visit.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
486 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

If you are going to rent a car anyway, it may be simpler and cheaper to rent it in Boston and just drive down to Cape Cod, rather than take the Provincetown ferry over. Stop at the Cape Cod National Seashore - the Coast Guard beach in Eastham is my favorite: it is a beautiful beach and has changing rooms and showers close to the beach. By driving from Boston you can stop in Plymouth, which you would miss if you are just taking the Ptown ferry to/from Boston.

Both Downtown Boston and most areas of Cambridge ARE close to the airport (15 minute cab ride close) so you do not need to stay in an "airport hotel" the night before your departure.

You can take a guided tour of the Harvard campus from the Harvard information center Monday thru Saturday 9am to 5 pm (http://www.harvard.edu/visitors). There is also an "unofficial" Harvard tour that many people enjoy. http://www.harvardtour.com/home/ You can also take a self-guided walking tour as well with an audio guide available at the Harvard visitor website. If you are in Harvard Square and like history, you may want to walk down Brattle Street to the Longfellow/Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site. http://www.nps.gov/long/index.htm

Lots to see/do in Boston and a great time a year to visit!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
486 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

If you've got active teens, they may enjoy riding bikes along the Cape Code Rail Trail, a 22 mile trail that intersects several quaint towns and scenic areas; the trail is paved and there aren't a lot of steep grades. There are a number of places to rent bikes along the route. www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/ccrt.htm

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
86 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

With all you want to do, you're definitely going to wish you had more time. I agree with the posters who suggest starting around the Cape and hitting Boston at the end. I would rent a car at Logan when you arrive and drive South. If it is early enough that day, stop in Plymouth and walk around the harbor. The Mayflower II is there and can be boarded, as well as Plymouth Rock (pebble). Another option is to go to Plimouth Plantation - a pilgrim village complete with people in period costumes doing everyday tasks and explaining it all. Good take.

Then head further South to the Cape. Plan to stay overnight mid-Cape for a couple nights, exploring the areas mentioned by other posters. P-Town is an experience, and as someone else mentioned, not a true representation of the Cape as a whole, but a fun day trip. A whale watch is a great activity and can be taken from either P-Town or Plymouth.

Once back in Boston, take the Old Town Trolley to see the most of the city in the shortest amount of time. It takes you to all the "must see" areas where you can get off the trolley to look around at your leisure, catching the next trolley which run about every 15 minutes.

I agree with others - Cambridge (Harvard Square) is just a quick subway ride away. And getting to the airport from any Boston hotel is easy. Much better to do it that way than to try making a flight while driving from the Cape.

Helotes, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, Cape trip

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions and information that would have taken a lot of research and time to gather. You've made planning this trip a whole lot easier. You all are truly awesome!!!

If anyone has suggestions on best hotels to stay at on the cape or in Boston it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!