We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay during Boston Marathon

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salida, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Place to stay during Boston Marathon

I am running the Boston marathon 2013 and am looking for a place to stay that is close to the subway or t-rail because I can't afford the cost of the back bay hotels. We are looking to keep costs below $150 p/nt. I have 3 family members travelling with me and they would like to have easy access to the finish line, whereas I need to get to the start line. We are travelling from California into Logan Int'l airport hopefully from April 12th - 16th. Any recommendations?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

I can't think of anything within your budget that is close to the subway/train. That is one of the busiest (and most expensive) weekends in Boston. You might try some B and B sites or you can see if there are any apartments available, though it is pretty late for that.

How many rooms to you need? Are you 4 adults?

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

On the BAA website, Marathon Tours agency is the official travel agency of the marathon, try them first, they have special offers for runners and others

www.marathontours.com/index.cfm?pid=10393

another place to call and check on availability

John Jeffries House, a little above your price but on the T, may be sold out but doesn't hurt to check

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/

good luck!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

You will get bussed to the starting line from the Back Bay so if your family can get to the finish line, you can get to the starting line.

If you don't mind taking a bus to the subway, check the tiny town of Winthrop ... Suburban Extended Stay, The Inn at Crystal Cove and the Harrington House B & B are all on the bus line. The Winthrop Arms Hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from teh bus, but it will be up hill on the return trip, if that matters to you.

The buses don't show up on the mbta's trip planner, but they do exist. They are winthrop bus number 712 and 713 and the SCHEDULE is on the mbta website. Type "bus 712" in the search box and you'll get a PDF of the schedule. Also, the local taxi to the T is not very expensive.

Happy Planning.

Edited: 5:46 pm, December 30, 2012
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

Just so you know, the BAA buses the runners out to the start line in Hopkinton. One way to save on room rates may be to book at one of the suburban locations. However what you save on the room you may end up spending on transportation in & out of Boston. The Hilton Garden Inn in Waltham has free shuttle service to the MBTA station which will bring you in to the city.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Edited: 5:47 pm, December 30, 2012
Salida, California
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

Thanks everyone for your advice; it is much appreciated. I will follow through on looking at some places along the marathon route and close to transportation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

Winthrop is a good idea, because I don't think most people would think to book there.

An alternative would be to rent a car and stay in Framingham or Marlboro, for instance. Your relatives could drop you off the morning of the marathon, drive to a T station, like Woodland or Riverside on the Green Line, and take the T into Boston to watch you finish.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

The roads into Hopkinton close at 7:30 on the morning of the Marathon.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

One more logistics point for anyone reading this. The Copley Square subway station that is at the finish line of the marathon is closed on Marathon Day so you have to get off at Hynes, Arlington (both B,C,or D lines) or Prudential (E-line) and walk to Copley Square.

You can cross the marathon route at Massachusetts Avenue or Arlington Street but not the B- H blocks between. (Back Bay cross streets run in alphabetical order from Arlington the Hereford.) Traffic restriction in the city go up early and are totally enforced.

Here's a link to last year's traffic advisory from the city so you can check specific streets.

cityofboston.gov/news/Default.aspx?id=5555

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Helena, Montana
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

Try The Warren Conference Center & Inn in Ashland Ma. It is 10-15 minutes from starting line and 10 minutes to Commuter Train. The price starts at 139 a night and includes Continental Breakfast. I stayed last year and loved it. My famliy was then able to travel to other parts of Massachusetts with out being stuck in the city. there web site is www.warrencenter.com

10. Re: Place to stay during Boston Marathon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 29, 2014