We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I Goof?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Did I Goof?

Last year prior to our Seattle trip I played around with Priceline in December. At the time I had no idea they'd accept a bid for the summer so many months in advance. I placed a ridiculous bid and ended up in a FAB hotel in a FAB location for 1/2 of their rack rates. (For you Top Chef fans it is the same hotel they had the Cheftestians stay in while filming!) Anyway, I decided to try my luck for our Boston stay. I bid $180.00 for 4 star properties for the week of July 4th. Now I'm wondering if I goofed. I 'won' the The Copley Sqaure Hotel in the Back Bay area. <sigh> Am I going to be dissatisfied?

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I Goof?

I'd say you lucked out. That rate is pretty good for over the 4th of July and the location is great. Sure, it's a little ways from the Freedom Trail and alot of the historical sites, but it's quite close to the Esplanade where all the 4th of July activity is and the Back Bay (and Copley Square in particular) is a very nice area, with some attractions of it's own - Trinity Church and the Boston Public Library are two of my favorite buildings in Boston.

You're also right next to where the Duck Tours http://bostonducktours.com/ start, which is a nice way to see the city.

As for the hotel itself, I haven't been in it, but I know that it went a massive renovation a couple years ago and have heard very good things.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 9:56 am, December 13, 2012
Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I Goof?

Oh and if you are into great food, Copley Square is a short walk to the South End - not an area frequented by tourists, but home to many of Boston's best restaurants.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I Goof?

Have you seen the reviews ... VAST majority rate it excellent or very good and only 3,8% rate it below average and those are probably people angry about one thing so they trash the whole thing, kwim?

I'd stay there in a heartbeat. :D

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60745-d111421-…

Edited: 10:08 am, December 13, 2012
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I Goof?

I think you did quite well. The city will be full for the holiday, prices high, and not only did you get a great price, but in a hotel close to the July 4th festivities.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I Goof?

Because I live in the area, I rarely stay in Boston hotels, but my husband and I have stayed at the Copley Square!  We liked it very much.  Our room was tiny (a typically-sized city hotel room) and the bathroom was long and very narrow.  Both, however, were well-appointed and made good use of the available space.  The hotel has a trendy vibe mixed with a lot of history.  We felt rather out of place on the trendy side until we spent some time in the lobby (also small) and realized among the fashionable young couples, there were plenty of older folks just like us plus quite a few families.  It’s a convenient location.  I think you did very well on the rate and will be fine.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did I Goof?

It's a nice hotel right in the heart of Back Bay, near lots of sightseeing, restaurants, shopping, etc. It's a good price as well. I think you are just fine.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I Goof?

Thanks Friends! You've made me feel much better! :0) The reviews seem good to great and as for small... no room could be smaller then the room we had in 08 @ The Charlesmark! We had to put our suitcases in an angled space behind a chair! However, it didn't stop us from LOVING Boston. Can you tell we can't wait to get back??? :-)

Charlestown, what restaurants are you refering to in the South End? We do enjoy trying great restaurants while vacationing (our town is great restaurant 'poor') so I'd love some recommendations! :D

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I Goof?

I didn't think you'd be in the room enough to care about its small size ;-) but it does matter to some people. Bring your tape measure because this room may compete with your earlier one!

The South End is very convenient to the hotel and has some terrific restaurants. Two places I like for less expensive, less formal dining are PICCO and Myers & Chang. There are many more!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did I Goof?

I think you absolutely messed up. But, being a big hearted person, I would take the room off of your hands... All part of the great service at TA! (and I would get a fantastic opportunity to spend 4th of July in Boston)

Texas
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I Goof?

Route: You are right. I've only begun to put together our itinerary and it's jammed packed as usual! Other then a place to shower, sleep, and an occasional 'power nap' we won't be in our room much! :D

@ Neslaw1 - I love the generous nature of those who frequent TA! Thanks for your kind offer, but I guess I will have to 'pass' ..... LOL! I've waited much too long for our return trip to Boston!!