We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

Hi,

We'll be spending New Year in Boston & we're looking forward to "First Night". I see that there's an option when buying buttons for a midnight harbour cruise of 1.5 hours to see the fireworks with a bar & music. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it a restrained affair or likely to feel like a spring break party boat?

Should we just watch form the harbourside?

Being New Year's Eve we'd expect it to be lively but we'd welcome any local knowledge that might influence our decision.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

I guess by the lack of replies that the midnight boat may not be that popular, maybe we'll stick to dry land!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

I am sure it is popular, but the thought of being out on the open water at midnight at the time of year just chills me to the bone!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

I've never heard of a cruise being available when you purchase the first-night button. I've heard of companies offering cruises, but never in conjunction with the button. I tend to wait until Dec 31 to buy a button cuz if it's too cold, I don't go.

So, bottom line is, I have no useful information for you. Sorry!

Edited: 4:40 pm, December 06, 2012
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

This was a discussion we had back in 2011. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k490061…

Perhaps you can PM the OP and see if they went on the cruise.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

It's usually either pretty cold, freezing cold or really super freezing cold that night. When you go out on the water, you automatically are looking at even colder temps. I can't imagine being on one of those "booze cruise" party boats they put out for July 4th, the ones with little shelter.

The only way I'd consider such a cruise would be on the Spirit of Boston or the other fancy one whose name now escapes me. (The rowdy atmosphere you describe is on some of the cheaper excursion boats. There are deluxe boats that have a more restrained crowd.)

The big factor for me would be weather. If you can see the fireworks from inside, that's great but you wouldn't want to spend much time outside watching them in the cold on the water. That said, if it's a really nice dinner and good atmosphere, it could be very special. Depends on what you want.

Edited: 8:45 am, December 08, 2012
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

In the link that Mahj posted above, a First Night employee responded SPECIFICALLY saying it is NOT a Booze Cruise, Like other First Night events it is family friendly and "nothing stronger than hot chocolate is served."

SO ... the "spring break atmosphere" shouldn't be a concern. The comments about the cold are real, but it was not all that cold (on land) the last two years, I spent quite a bit of time outdoors both years But things are ALWAYS different on the water ... especially if there's any wind at all..

Of course, nobody can predict the weather this far in advance. According to Wunderground.com, on 12/31/2011 the temp ranged from 34 - 37 and in 2010 it ranged from 28 - 50 ... but I think it the highter temps were in the evening. I remember commenting on how warm it was which brough out LOTS of people. We went to the early fireworks and trying to get back to the Park Street T that it took a while ... it was like Kenmore Square after a Red Sox game.

BUT ... on the contrast, in 2008 temps ranged from 9 to 28 and I suspected the colder temps were at night since it was much warmer the day before and even colder the day after.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

Thanks for the link Mahj, helpful info. Also thanks to others for background info.

From your comments I can see that the weather is clearly the most important factor! Seeing as we'll probably be outdoors a lot during our Boston visit, by New Year's Eve the boat idea may well have lost it's gloss so I think we'll stick to dry land & maybe watch the fireworks from the harbourside.

Thanks again.

8. Re: NYE Harbour Fireworks Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, December 17, 2013