We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
140 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

I have an early (7:25am) departure time with Southwest out of terminal E at Logan. Southwest says you should arrive 2 hours before departure. This seems like a long time for a domestic flight on a Friday morning. Has anyone else had experience with this? I had planned to be there at 6:00 am, but am wondering if I really need to be there by 5:30 am. I will be checking a bag. Thoughts?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,487 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

Personally, I thunk 6:30 is cutting it close. Don`t forget how southwest boards. If you have an "A" boarding pass ans you are not in line when the As board, you could have issues, especially if flying with somebody you`d like to sit next to.

there are lots of flights that depart early. it won`t be as quiet as you think it will.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

Hi- I had a 6:00 a.m flight on Southwest out of Terminal E a few months ago. I got there around 4:30, parked and cleared security by 5, but I had only a carry-on bag and used the self check-in computer. Also, I had paid for early boarding. Dunkin Donuts was open as well as the news stand and another coffee stand. The main Terminal E was pretty empty but there was a surprising amount of people at the Southwest gates for that hour of the morning.

Edited: 11:21 am, November 08, 2012
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

I think your plan with a 6 AM arrival should be fine. The main hurdle, as you likely already know, is clearing security.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

I fly Southwest out of Logan all the time. 6am will be fine. You're in an area completely separate from the international flights, so it is a smaller security area. If there are several SW flights leaving at the same time, it can be a bit slow, but not enough to warrant getting there 2 hours ahead of time.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

You will be fine at 6 AM. You can check in online 24 hours before your flight with SW which moves you up in the boarding order. I have done this a few times and had good luck being toward the front of the line for boarding. Do it right around 7:25 AM the day before.

6. Re: Southwest-Terminal E Wait Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 02, 2013