We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston on Christmas Day

berkshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Boston on Christmas Day

Husband has to travel to boston on Christmas Eve arriving 22:00 departing 26th 17:00. Trying to decide whether to travel with him or stay at home. Two children 11 and 15. What will be open or what can we do on Christmas Day? My husband and I have been to boston many times children have been approx 7 years ago in the summer. We would be staying at the Marriot Copley place. Children are well travelled so flight times and time change not an issue. Any suggestions of places to eat on Christmas Day especially welcome. Have read about Blink at fanueil hall Is it open on Christmas Day?

Many thanks

Boston
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

I think most restaurants will be closed on Christmas day with the exception of hotel restaurants, many of which are quite nice. Chinatown restaurants should be open, too. On Christmas Day there may be Christmas-themed shows you could see, go to a service at the beautiful Trinity Church if you are so inclined, take in a movie. I'm sure there will be enough to do to fill a day.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

On Christmas Day, restaurants in the big hotels will be open and also most likely a number of restaurants in Chinatown. You can walk the Freedom Trail if the weather allows, but the indoor attractions will be closed. Walking the Freedom Tail can easily take a couple hours. You could window shop on Newbury St or take the T to Harvard Square and walk around. Museums and shops will be closed. You can always go the movies! On the day after Christmas, everything will be open and shops will be busy with returns and discount sales. I am unfamiliar with Blink!; I think it is new this year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

Here's a list of some restaurants that will be open: bostonchefs.com/holiday/…

This is a link to the blog of a regular poster here, Penny, that discusses what is open and closed last year (it will be about the same this year): bostonzest.com/2011/12/whats-open-in-boston-…

And you can check www.opentable.com for Boston to perhaps see other restaurants that will be open. It would be a nice low-key day to walk around and see the Christmas lights and decorations, have a nice meal, and perhaps catch a movie.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

Book Christmas day dinner. We stayed in Marriott Copley at Christmas a few years ago and booked Legal Seafood Copley for Christmas dinner - because it is right next to hotel and can go there with no coat regardless of weather outside! Was a lovely meal - I had their Christmas day special of surf and turf - lobster tail & beef wellington - sublime.

Aside form that, Trinity Church is a great suggestion as is the Freedom Trail. I wouldn't plan much more - just enjoy the atmosphere of a family day on Boston Common/Public Gardens and see if the Rockettes are on on Xmas day. A spot of ice skating on frog pond?

Have a fab time - I'm very jealous!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
497 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

I wouldn't think there would be enough to do in Boston to make the trip from England for two days (barely) worth the time and expense. Christmas day will be very quiet, the streets rather deserted, most people at home with families. In Harvard Square, all of the students and lots of other residents will be somewhere other than Cambridge, so it is especially empty. Trinity Church and a walk in the Public Garden are both good suggestions if you do come.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

What does your husband think? Would you be trying to entertain the kids while he works or something?

I agree with Mike ... it's a lot of time and expense to travel just to have dinner see a movie and walk the Freedom Trail while the exhibits are closed.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

The Sports Bar - Champions is always open Christmas day - I know it's not everyones idea of a Christmas dinner but you don't have to book and at least you know you will get fed!

Chinatown is open and will be fairly busy - it will be quiet in the morning but after lunch there's quite a few people around. It's a trek for a small amount of time though.

8. Re: Boston on Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 10, 2013