We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

Hi all! We are planning to go to Boston to see some colleges. We are staying in Cambridge. We specifically want to see Tufts, Brandeis, Boston College, Boston University and Northeastern. We will have a car. We will be there for 2-1/2 days. We will be arriving Wednesday night to get started first thing Thursday am. And staying until Saturday afternoon to hopefully do one tour early Saturday. Can anyone offer advice on the best order to do the 5 colleges? Thanks very much!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

If you're driving to Cambridge and then back home, you might want to schedule your Saturday tour at a place that's on your way out of town. Although I don't know where home is, that's likely to be Brandeis.

If you're renting a car in Boston, you might want to consider saving money--and giving yourselves and the prospective student a taste of life in the city--by using public transportation at least for BU and Northeastern. You could rent a car for just one day, and perhaps on that day go to BC and Brandeis, or Tufts and Brandeis. However, both BC and Tufts are accessible by public transportation as well. (Brandeis is possible, but not as convenient.)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

I was going to suggest for NU and BU, you probably don't even want to go by car. For BC and Tufts, you could go by car if you came with one, but I wouldn't rent one for them. Brandeis is a little further out of town, so a car would be easier, although you can still get there via commuter rail.

Edited: 3:49 pm, October 29, 2012
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

I would use a car to see all 5.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a particular itinerary. Maybe if you said "we are thinking of doing this..." I could comment. :-)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

I wish I knew if you were driving to Boston and if so, from where.

Let's imagine you are coming from Indiana, and want to get on the Mass Pike to get home on Saturday.

On Thursday, drive to Brandeis, then scoot up to Tufts.

On Friday, do Northeastern and BU.

Then Saturday, do BC, and get on the mass pike and go home.

On the other hand, if they are playing a football game at BC on Saturday, switch BC and Brandeis.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

Thanks for the comments so far. Looks like we will doTufts and BC by car on Thursday, staying near BC for dinner. Then we may use public transportation on Friday (to give our daughter that experience) to see BU and NU. Then hit Brandeis on our way back to NJ Saturday. And since we are staying in Cambridge, we'll probably walk Harvard's campus at some point too.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

Sorry I didn't give enough information. We are driving our own car up from NJ. We typically take 95 up.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

That works. :-) There is plenty of parking around both BU and NU but no doubt taking the T can be fun.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

First off, you do not have enough time to see five universities in 2.5 days -- and unless your Saturday school has a tour, you'll be shortchanging yourselves.

I would pick the top three schools and give them priority -- and not need to rush off to the next university. It takes time to get the vibe of a school, and it's almost as much about seeing the neighborhoods and walking around on tour own as going on the official tours.

There are not really any super secrets about the proper order -- find them on a map and pick the best ways to travel. I would be inclined to use public transport to get to and from Northeastern and BU since that'll give you a feel for the areas. See Davis Square when you go to Tufts.

LMM

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

I agree with Loon. I'm a guidance counselor and I would never recommend to one of my students to see that many schools in such a short period of time. They will all blend together. Plus, you should call these schools (or sign up on their websites) ahead of time to get on their tours. BU and NU are very similar schools in the sense that they're both in the heart of the city and similar in size, with many choices for majors. The big difference between the two is that NU has a smaller more compact campus, whereas BU is very spread out over many t stops. BC is at the end of one of the Green Line trains. People think it's in the city since it's "Boston" College, but in reality you have more of the campus feel since it's not in the city.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeing 5 colleges in Boston

My reaction was your plans are a bit ambitious. With that said I would check tour schedules prior to firming up plan but two a day is more than enough. I would take the car.