We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip Report

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip Report

Our family of four (parents with adult son and daughter) stayed at Hilton Back Bay for 4 days in early October. We had a large corner room so that a rollaway bed could also fit, along with two regular double beds. This worked out fine for us. We were happy with the hotel, getting a good rate compared with other places nearby, and the location was great, being easily accessible to the T and Prudential shops and food court.

We were nearing the end of a month of travelling so took things a bit more slowly than others might have, but definitely enjoyed our time in Boston. Walking the Freedom Trail was a good introduction to the American Independence story for the younger generation, at the same time getting them acquainted with the layout of the inner city.

On a visit to Harvard we struggled a bit without a campus map, not finding much signage. Nevertheless my daughter managed to sit in a lecture theatre and dream – no lecture at the time! The glass flowers at the Natural History museum are always impressive, as you wonder how such detail could be captured in glass, let alone remain intact despite the years and hordes of visitors.

We were lucky enough to be in the city for Columbus Day when many Fenway area institutions opened for free. We made the most of this opportunity to visit the Museum of Fine Arts (lovely building, enjoyed the Impressionists and Tiffany especially, although disappointed that the Renoir used for advertising is not actually on site!). Also visited the Gardner Museum but found it too crowded to appreciate more than the building itself, so will save that for another visit. The Mapparium also was free (although its usual charge is not high) so I had a quick trip across the walkway. It felt strange to be within the globe rather than the usual perspective, and made me very aware how big the Pacific Ocean is.

On our last day we went out to the JFK Library. It’s easy enough to get to, although it took a while, as I guess we must have just missed one of the shuttles. We really enjoyed the visit, thought info was well displayed. News footage was helpful for the offspring to get a better feel for the time and circumstances, and it is interesting how they try to ‘keep the legacy alive’.

Getting around, we bought a weekly T pass for $18, which we made enough use of to make it good value. Not having to continually check or top up our tickets was a bonus.

We opted to use Amtrak to travel down to NYC. We bought our tickets early enough to get what we felt was a good price. It was a great service, even arriving ahead of time. Took your advice and sat on the left, with wonderful coastal views. Having wifi onboard was also handy for last minute planning as we knew it would not be free at our next hotel. No queues and no searches – a pleasant way to travel!

As a follower of the Boston forum for many months, I found your advice and suggestions enormously helpful. Thank you.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip Report

Poss79 - my family of 4 are heading to Boston for the first time in January and I very much appreciated hearing your experiences. Thank you for sharing. What other cities did you visit in your trip and have you done a trip report on those in other forums?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip Report

It may have been the end of a trip and you may have been starting to drag ... but it sounds like you did and saw quite a few things. Thanks for taking the time to write out your trip report. These are helpful to future visitors as well as do us locals who advise them and sometimes look for things to do with out-of-town visitors.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip Report

I agree Forgotmypword - it definitely sounds like they still saw so much.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip Report

As always, we appreciate hearing from our visitors. Safe travels!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip Report

Great report. Glad you had fun.

Auckland
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip Report

Shuttergirl - we were on our way home from UK, via a meeting in Boston. Only spent a few days in NY, for which I have just posted a report. Thanks for reminding me to do so!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip Report

Thanks for the report.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip Report

Glad you had a nice time here thanks for sharing your TR.

9. Re: Family Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 19, 2013