We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

When I look at the Amtrak schedules, all trains between NYC and Boston seem to say "No Checked Bags". Can this be true?

The website says

"Each passenger can have a total of 2 carry-on bags, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg), 28 x 22 x 14 inches (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters)."

i will have more luggage than this, what can i do?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

You are fine. You just cannot check them on the train, as there are no facilties to do that. You can carry them on the train yourself or hire a porter to move them for you.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

Perfect, thanks for that

Newton Stewart
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

How did your trip go? We're travelling Vancouver to Seattle and then Washington to New Jersey in April at the end of a 6 week trip starting in Toronto, across Rockies to Vancouver etc. I was also worried about the luggage description and contacted Amtrak but have had no response as yet.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

Hopefully, you're not planning on going from Washington State to New Jersey by train. That's a backbreaking trip - literally. Plan on flying instead. It won't cost any more and you'll still have some vacation time left.

Newton Stewart
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

No, DC to NJ! I just can't believe that there's no provision for the large luggage that international travellers would be carrying, especially if the destination is an airport!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

Popeye, all that statement means is that you have to carry it on yourselves. There are areas on the train to put the suitcases - either in front of the car or on a shelf above you (bigger than on planes).

My advice to you would be to utliize the Red Caps in DC. They are porters who will help you get on the train (before everybody else) and carry your luggage. This is all done for a tip.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,649 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

I've never checked luggage on Amtrak (have never needed to) and often see folks stowing large bags exactly as described in several posts above. However, when I look at the Amtrak website, I see that a number of stations, including Union Station in DC and Newark Penn Station in NJ (where I assume you're heading, popeye999, since you mentioned the airport) offer checked baggage service. My reading of the following webpage is that as long as both the origination and destination stations offer this service, you can check up to 2 bags free of charge.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Can anyone confirm that this is how it works? Or, is it simply not offered on the Northeast Regional or Acela routes?

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

That is not offered on any of the NorthEast Regional or Acela routes. Your 2 options are 1) Carry it on yourself and stow it like I said in my previous post or 2) use a Red Cap (porter as I described above)? I take this route a lot and these are the only 2 options.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,649 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

Thanks, tchoiniere. I wondered if this might be the case. Where does it specify that it's not available on these routes? I couldn't find anything route-specific, but the Amtrak website isn't the easiest to search. My Amtrak travels usually take me from Rt 128 Station to Penn NYC; Rt 128 has no checked baggage service so I wouldn't see folks checking bags there, but I realized that I've never seen anyone doing so at Penn for the trip to Boston.

Anyway, while I'm posting, let me add my voice to those recommending the Red Cap service. At Penn NYC, it makes all the difference in the world.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to NYC by rail with luggage - Amtrak

I don't know if it really ever says that but having taken this route so many times, I'm used to it. This question gets asked on the DC forum more than here so it frustruates a lot of people. I emailed Amtrak suggesting they reword it on their page to no response yet.