We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
191 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

Dear all,

I would like to fly from Washington DC to visit Harvard University.

Could you pls advise what I should do as this will be my first time to the United States. I worked out how to get by in DC itself, but don't know how to fly to Harvard University.

Thank you

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

You fly to Boston and either take a taxi or the subway to Cambridge.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
628 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

The most convenient airport to fly out of from DC is Washington Reagan, airport code DCA. JetBlue and US Air have frequent flights from DCA to BOS. You can go on their websites to see the flight times and fares.

london
Level Contributor
191 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

Thanks a lot. Your advice is very helpful.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

a super cheap way to do it can be to fly Southwest Airlines from the Baltimore airport, which is an easy, $8 train ride from Union Station in DC. Right now you can buy a one way ticket from Baltimore to Boston for $68.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,062 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

Southwest and JetBlue are the cheapest.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

From Boston Logan Airport to Harvard Square you can take a taxi, which will cost around $35 and take 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic/time of day. Or you could take the Silver Line bus (www.mbta.com), which at the moment is completely free, from your airport terminal to South Station, and then transfer to the Red Line subway train to Harvard Square (go in the direction toward Alewife); this will take 30 to 50 minutes depending on time of day/frequency of trains. If you have a big bag or are in a hurry I'd take a cab.

Note that while the main Harvard University campus is in Cambridge, centered on Harvard Square, some of the graduate schools are elsewhere. The Business School campus is across the Charles River from Cambridge in the Boston neighborhood called Allston. The Medical School and School of Public Health are located in the Longwood neighborhood of Boston, which is not anywhere near Harvard Square, so you would take a different transit line (the Green Line) to get there.But for the Harvard undergraduate college and the Law, Education, Architecture, Divinity and Government schools, Harvard Square is a good starting point.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

Just be sure you fly to BOS not any other airport that says its "Boston".

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

I think "forgot" means that Manchester NH and Providence RI are often included in searches for Boston, as they are nearby--as in an hour+ away in either direction. You definitely should aim for BOS.

In/near DC, there are three airports "nearby": DCA, IAD , and BWI. If you're flying in from London into one of these, that airport will have flights to Boston. They run shuttles back and forth all day. If convenience is of most importance to you, check to see which airlines are running which flights from that airport. If you are economizing, you might do a search that includes all three DC area airports. You might find a deal, but it would have to be significant to justify the inconvenience of leaving one airport to go to another.

Edited: 12:02 am, October 18, 2012
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

Caroline

Assuming the original poster is staying somewhere in the District before heading to Boston, it doesn't much matter what airport he or she flew into from London. Most or all flights from London will have landed at IAD Dulles or BWI. Baltimore. But the closest airport to downtown Washington is definitely DCA Reagan Washington National so unless its significantly cheaper to fly from BWI or IAD the most convenient point of departure to Boston is DCA. If the op were just changing planes in Washington they'd already be booked thru to boston I would expect.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
628 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air travel from Washington DC to Harvard University?

The OP had posted a question on the DC forum that referenced using the Metro so I'm assuming, too, that he's visiting Washington first.