We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which restaurant for family gathering?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which restaurant for family gathering?

We need to decide which of these three restaurants for our small group of 7 for dinner- The Met, Grill 23, and Jasmine Bistro. Someone has made reservations at all three and I would like to know which restaurant will be best if we would like to be able to talk with each other without too much noise and craziness going on. Suggestions? Any special requests that we might ask for on seating? It is for this weekend and I imagine that it will be too cool to eat outside. Thanks.

Edited: 5:41 pm, October 16, 2012
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

I had to look up Jasmine Bistro because I had never heard of it. It seems to be a local ethnic restaurant in Brighton which doesn't seem to mesh with your other choices.

Seven is not that large a number of people but on a weekend most restaurants are busy and can get loud.

What night are you dining, and what is your food preference and budget? I'm sure the Met and Grill 23 would be okay for your group without knowing any more about your needs. I'm assuming you've checked the menus.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

Grill 23 is the only one I've been to out of the 3 you listed. It's very expensive where all the sides are extra. You pay for your steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli, etc. It doesn't strike me as a family restaurant or a small group restaurant. It's more of a romantic dinner for two type of place.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

Jasmine Bistro is not downtown. It is in Brighton, which is a neighborhood of Boston.Maybe you are staying out that way? Grill 23 is a steak house, great if that's what you're looking for. I don't know too much about The Met. You have many choices that would work, but a couple that come to mind are old favorites, Brasserie Jo and Hammersley's Bistro.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

Thank you for all of your comments. Someone else has made the reservations and we are to choose from these restaurants. The dinner is Saturday night and she had a difficult time finding reservations as it is an extremely busy weekend.

The Met is fairly new I think and since the Jasmine Bistro is not centrally located I guess we will choose the Grill 23 and bite the bullet on the price. Any other suggestions still welcome. Thanks.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

There are lots of restaurants with availability for 7 on Saturday night on Opentable.com. Some are full during prime dining hours, but many aren't.

You haven't really indicated your preferences beyond wanting easy conversation. What about dining in the North End? There are several good restaurants with availability. If everybody is coming from out of town, you may also enjoy a seafood restaurant. Legal Seafoods has availability in a few different locations.

Frankly, the suggestions you've been offered (especially with one of them being in Brighton) make me think the person in charge of finding options didn't put much effort into it (unless you had requirements you haven't stated here)

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

Jasmine Bistro is on Market St. in Brighton so if you are staying in Boston, you may have to take the subway to a bus at Kenmore Square to get there.

Without knowing your preferences, it's hard to advise you further but take a look at Brasserie Jo.

7. Re: Which restaurant for family gathering?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 18, 2013