We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Times

Weighing some lodging options, and would like to know how long it will take to drive from the hotel to a T station with parking. Assume 8-9 AM weekdays (morning rush), mid-September, on the trips to town.

1. Near Burlington Mall to Alewife station.

2. 95/128 in Wakefield near Rt. 1 to Alewife.

3. 95/128 in Dedham near Rt.1 to Braintree station.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Times

Hi Deubster,

If your goal is to stay outside of Boston, but close to the T for getting into Boston, here are some of my suggestions:

Newton Holiday Inn: Next door to the Riverside Green Line station

Newton Marriott: A very nice hotel, about 5 minutes drive to the Green Line at Riverside station, or Woodland station.

Amerisuites Hotel in Medford: About a 5 minute drive (or hotel shuttle) to the Orange Line at Wellington.

Marriott in Quincy: A very nice fairly new hotel, about a half mile from the Quincy Adams Red Line station, and definitely walkable in nice weather (although they do have a shuttle), and Quincy Adams has a HUGE parking garage, if you wanted to drive it.

Adams Inn in Quincy: about a 10 minute or less walk to the North Quincy Red Line.

Now for your question directly:

1. This should take about 30 minutes, unless there is some horrific accident or tie up on Rte 2. Generally, that doesn't back up terribly heading towards Alewife.

2. This will be 45 minutes, or as much as an hour, depending on traffic. The northern edge of 128 is horrible in the mornings, heading south towards 93. If you are determined to stay in Wakefield, take the commuter train from Wakefield itself, into Boston.

3. You are going somewhat against traffic this way, but plan 20-30 minutes, to be safe. Also, you'd probably want to go to Quincy Adams, not Braintree. If you go this way, there is an exit directly off of the highway into the parking garage at Quincy Adams Red Line. There is also lots of commuter rail service from Dedham itself, if you wanted to do that.

Even though the parking garages at Alewife and Quincy Adams are huge, they do fill up. You would want to arrive before 8am, if possible, to be assured of a space.

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Times

Thanks, Beantown man. At this point, I'm just weighing options. We've locked in our dates - fly to Manchester 9/9, return on 9/17. Spend 5 nights in or around Boston, 3 in Portland. Southwest just extended its schedule to 9/12 so we split a Rapid Reward and bought two one-way tickets up there. Will use our second RR award for the return as soon as they extend the schedule again (probably May).

I'd love to stay downtown or Copley. I've seen priceline wins for 2.5* and above in these regions for $70-$80 and some (like Doubletree on Washington St.) for mid $50's. At those prices, I'd figure out how to store my rented car for a few days or pony up for the high parking cost at downtown hotels.

If I stay on or near 95/128, I can get good hotels with free parking for $60-75 without much problem through priceline. I can even stay at Homestead Suites near Burlington Mall for $80 (not PL, standard AAA/AARP rate) and get a nice room with free breakfast.

Right now I'm trying to decide how much it's worth to avoid the drive. $30/night? Perhaps. $60/night? Probably not - we'd find other uses for the $300 or so we save.

I've considered AmeriSuites in Medford, and could probably get it through PL. Marriot Newton is risky, because I'm more likely to win Sheraton Newton, which gets horrible reviews.

As I mentioned, I'm still in the information gathering stage. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Times

Hi Deubster,

In addition to Priceline, there are other options for staying downtown at a reasonable price.

There are a few B&B's which are relatively inexpensive and are located downtown. I guess it depends on your tolerance for "budget" travel. Do you want a lot of ammenities and such in your room, or do you just need a place to sleep and shower?

Here are some ideas for you, all in the $100-160 per room per night range:

The John Jeffries house in Beacon Hill. It's got a great location right in downtown boston, is reasonably-priced, and gets consistently good reviews here on Trip Advisor:

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com

The Oasis Guest House in the Fenway. Also very centrally located and inexpensive but basic:

http://www.oasisgh.com

463 Beacon St. Guest House, right in the Back Bay and a great location for touring Boston:

http://www.463beacon.com

There is also one motel downtown, with free parking, even. The Midtown Hotel is centrally-located near Symphony Hall and right on the Green Line. It's basic accomodations, and for the most part, seems to get decent reviews here on Trip Advisor (with the occasional bad review thrown in). And their rooms are in that $120 range, which is a bargain for downtown. I see that they are also offering a special discount package with 15% off their usual rates:

http://www.midtownhotel.com

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Times

John Jeffries looks great. $129 for a double + parking.

Midtown is showing $168 with parking for my dates (AAA/AARP rates).

Oasis shows $99-150 for double with private bath (a necessity) + parking.

463 Beacon says rates from $79-$159. After looking at the pictures, I'll doubt my wife would be willing to stay in any of the less costly rooms (single beds, bunk beds, etc.).

I know how much I'll have to pay outside downtown. I'm adjusting the extra amount I'd be willing to pay to stay downtown.

Question, what is the problem with Sheratons in the Boston area? Sheraton has a decent reputation in most other cities. There are at least 3 PL zones I have to be extremely careful of if I bid for them. Sheraton Ferncroft (Danvers), Sheraton Newton, and Sheraton Lexington Inn are each the most frequent winner in their respective PL zones, and all are horrible hotels judging by TA and other forums.

I've personally stayed at Sheraton Colonial in Wakefield and it was fine, though a bit worn and fairly remote. BTW, thanks for telling me about the long drive times from that area (when I stayed there, my business was not downtown).

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Times

Deubster,

I can't say I know for sure why Sheratons around here are poorly-reviewed...especially considering that Sheraton's world headquarters are in Boston. It might be because the hotel buildings themselves are old, and maybe they haven't kept up with renovations as they need to?

The Sheraton Ferncroft is pretty remote from Boston, and would not be a convenient location to stay in, if you are commuting into Boston every day for touring.

As for PL prices, I have heard people here in the forum saying that they have gotten hotels like the Marriott Copley and Westin Copley for $80/night on PL.

I guess you have to decide if you are willing to risk the chance of getting an "undesirable" hotel through PL, to save the money, or whether you want to try a hotel that you know, for more.