We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Boston ?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingfisher, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Boston ?

Pre-planning cruise details for end of Sept 2013 embarking from Boston. We have never been in Boston or the surrounding area.

Curious how many days we would need to hit the major highlights and get a good general overview of this historic city. Would like to see Fenway and hopefully get lucky enough to catch a game, do The Freedom Trail, bus tour, etc. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,720 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Boston ?

This is not as easy to answer as you may think. Some people do the Freedom trail in 2 hours ... walking along, glancing at the sites. Other take two days, visiting all the indoor venues, spending a lot of time with each exhibit. Most people spend more than 2 hours and less than 2 days.

You don't have any art museums on your list. Is art of interest to you?

Are you interested in the Kennedy family? The JFK Library and Museum is of interest to a lot of visitors.

I know you'll be spending lots of time on the water on your cruise, but is a few hours at a beach something that might appeal to you?

With all that said, since obviously your time is not unlimited ... I'd say 3 days is a good start for a first-time visitor. You'll get a feel for the place and will be able to see more when you return. ;)

Also ... if you haven't already done so, I suggest you pick up a guide book to help you get feel for all there is to see and do.

Kingfisher, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Boston ?

Thanks for the prompt return of your reply. We are merely "dipping our toe" into the Boston area and historic culture due to time constraints and, of course, budget at some point has to be considered. We are hoping to come in 3-4 days early for the opportunity to see as much as we can before embarkation. I looked briefly at the "Things to do" in Boston before posting my question. There are many things I want to see and do, and I appreciate all the local knowledge I can get. The JFK museum sounds very good as well.

Thanks again and love the username! So many passwords to remember, I need a vacation !!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Boston ?

three nights is about right.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Boston ?

I agree 3-4 days is enough.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,306 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Boston ?

3-4 days is fine. Forget about big bus tours. Boston is very easy on foot, using the T, and we have small trolley tours. Big buses can't get everywhere and visibility is too limited.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Boston ?

for "dipping your toe", 3 days is plenty.

7. Re: How many days in Boston ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, December 15, 2013