We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about where to stay

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about where to stay

My husband and I will be visiting Boston at the end of the month. First time in years that we are travelling without the kids and we are looking for accommodation that won't cause us to file for bankruptcy. Specifically, we are seeking:

- a location that is no more than 15 min away from downtown boston by subway

- accommodation that is less than a half-mile walk from a subway station

- a decent neighborhood (not necessarily upscale, but something friendly)

- a budget of $100-$120 a night

- attached bath

We're fine with a hotel or a B&B or an apartment (serviced or otherwise). I was told to look at less expensive areas outside of downtown Boston, but have no idea where to begin!

Ideas for which neighborhoods to look at please? And specific reccos for accommodation would be welcome too...

Thank you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about where to stay

The end of October is still a busy (i.e. expensive) time in Boston and your budget may be low for your requirements. You can check these two sites for B and B's, and also check www.vrbo.com for rentals.

bedandbreakfast.com/boston-massachusetts.html

bnbboston.com/accommodations/bed-breakfast.h…

Some people use Airbnb successfully but I have no experience with it.

Before you book, check back and ask about your choice and location. We have seen some fake rental sites out there for Boston rentals. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about where to stay

there's a brand new hostel that just opened up on Stuart Street that has private rooms with ensuite bathroom:

http://bostonhostel.org/reservations/

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about where to stay

That is a low budget for accommodation in Boston. 15 minutes away by subway is still central and prices will not be that cheap. 15 minutes away by the T will bring you to Brookline, where there are several b&bs and a Holiday Inn which could be close to your range. I recently checked the new Boston hostel Thomas mentions for an upcoming weekend celebration as they offer private double rooms with ensuite bath, but the price is $139/nite and this is an HI hostel, so that gives you an idea of Boston prices. You could try the Oasis Guest House in Boston; the YWCA near the South End has good prices and some private rooms but not sure if they have ensuite baths. There is also a Howard Johnson's near Kenmore Square which is cheap, but check the reviews here first because the price reflects the quality. People normally try Priceline, Hotwire, etc. for discounts but I don't think they would help at that price range. Ting is right, be careful when booking apartments and sending an advance deposit esp. if the price is cheap. Also, many inexpensive hotels advertise themselves with "Boston" by their name, but they are actually nowhere near Boston but deep in the suburbs with no public transport, so check before booking. Can you up your budget?

Mentioned in this post
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
Oasis Guest House
Oasis Guest House
478 Reviews
Boston, MA
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Kenmore Square
Kenmore Square
21 Reviews
Boston, MA
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about where to stay

Since Boston hotel prices fluctuate by exact date, and October has some very pricey dates, if you give us your exact dates and number of people in the room, we may be able to make some suggestions that are near your budget and walking distance from the T (or with a free shuttle to the T).

The suggestions will likely be more than a 15 minute subway ride, but that will probably be an easier compromise than paying a much higher price. It's possible that you will need to spend more to be anywhere convenient to the T. We can let you know your options when we know your dates.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about where to stay

Thank you guys for the eye-opening advice re pricing! Based on your replies, here is additional information:

- We fly into Boston from DC on the 27th evening, and leave on the 4th morning. S

- Because it's such a long stay, we can only stretch our budget to a maximum of $200 a night... and then we will likely be unable to eat out as much as we'd like :(

- We are willing to look at a longer subway ride

- we are ok with taking water taxis

- because we both have issues with our joints (him - knee, me - ankle) we can't walk more than .5 of a mile, and even that is a bit of a stretch in the cold

- if the neighborhood features a cafe or deli nearby, that'd be great.

In Boston, our main interest would be food (oysters, chowder, lobster rolls, and craigie on main, our one big splurge), a whale watch (if possible, and yes, we know it's going to be very cold), a tide pool (maybe), beacon hill (picturesque cobbled streets) and the north end (vibrant Italian vibe and food).

In terms of apartments, I came across CAJ house, as well as these: http://bit.ly/WshHFK

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/509437

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23688

Thoughts anyone?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about where to stay

How are you with stairs? One of thoseSouth End places calls itself a '3 floor walkup' without mentioning what floor it is on. The other one in the South End says it's '2 flights up'.

The ride on the T from Newton Center to Park Street STation (Boston Common) is 25-30 minutes.

Before I'd stay that far out, I'd look at the availability of the private hostel room with en-suite bathroom. If that's available, it may be easier than Newton.

Mentioned in this post
South End
South End
36 Reviews
Boston, MA
Newton
Newton
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about where to stay

The second one sounds interesting, but the first seems totally unsuitable. A two flight walk-up with folks who have major joint difficulties? Never mind the 225 square feet.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about where to stay

Thank you for pointing that out! We can manage a couple of flights of stairs once a day, but would rather not, as you can imagine.

What about these:

cajhouse.com/worcester-st-bohemian-apartment/

cajhouse.com/tremont-st-orient-express-apart…

Anyone know anything about these?

What about hotels/b&bs in brookline or quincy?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about where to stay

The second one is hard to tell, but the first one has skylights, which means it's on the top floor. You have to be alert to those kinds of signals.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about where to stay

Tremont street it quite long. It may or may not be convenient to transportation, depending on WHERE on Tremont it is.