We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under 25 driver in US/Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Under 25 driver in US/Boston

Hi,

I will be in Boston next August and need to rent a car for approx 12 days - is there any way of getting around the surcharges for being a driver under the age of 25?

I'll be 3 months short being 25 and it's so frustrating knowing that I'll be charged an additional fee.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,453 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Under 25 driver in US/Boston

This is a question best addressed to the car rental agencies. I know if you are travelling on business for a company that has an established relationship with the rental company, they'll often waive the charge.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Under 25 driver in US/Boston

So, if none of the major rental agencies work out, try Priceless Rent a Wreck in West Natick. You can take the Commuter rail there, the West Natick stop is very close to walk. They rent older cars, but they do rent to 18 and up. You should call and check their rates for your age. My spouse used Rent a Wreck in another MA location once when his car broke down and he was stuck. The car was in decent condition and functioned without problem, but was old.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Under 25 driver in US/Boston

Also, are you 100% positive you need a car? Boston has solid public transit (by US standards at least)

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Under 25 driver in US/Boston

Hertz sometimes has specials on their website where they waive the fee.

5. Re: Under 25 driver in US/Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 15, 2013