We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the locals fave spots?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What are the locals fave spots?

We would like to know where the locals like to go to eat. We are planning lunch & dinner out for 2 days, possibly 3. We need to take advantage of Boston's gastronomical scene b/c we will be in VT & NH for a few days so we might be on a diet there...:)

We love ceviche, seafood, banh mi's, any asian foods (authentic). (We're coming from SF). Is lobster in abundance this yr. where can we get good yummy lobster --do we need to drive into Maine?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

Why would you be on a diet in VT and NH?

You do not need to go to Maine for lobster. Generally speaking locals buy live lobster and cook it at home but you can get a high quality prepared lobster at Summer Shack, among other places.

Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

Lobster is plentiful at the moment. I rarely buy lobster roll when out but when do, don't want to pay the crazy high places.

Maybe head over to Yankee lobster on northern avenue. Neptune oyster in the north end gets mentioned a lot on these sites, but you'd be hard pressed to find people from the north end there or people from Boston.

James hook is another place I stop for bisque and an occasional roll.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,453 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

My favorite is still the Daily Catch, Sicilian Seafood. They have two Boston locations, Northeren Ave, on the water and Hanover Street in the Italian Neighborhood known as "The North End". The North End location is very tiny and they only accept cash. The Nothern Ave location is larger, has outdoor seating in warm weather, accepts credit cards and serves dessert.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

A good seafood spot in Boston which sources locally is Island Creek Oyster Bar. You should reserve in advance as it is popular. If you want lobster with atmosphere, I suggest going to Roy Moore's lobster shack on Bearskin Neck in Rockport, MA (the shack, not the restaurant in town). You can sit outside on the back deck with a harbor view. Rockport makes a good day trip from Boston, not too far and very scenic and New Englandy. No need to go to Maine just for lobster. Since you are from SF, I don't know that you will find comparable Asian food here. That is a high standard by which to measure!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

Many locals go to Neptune Oyster. They have a beautiful lobster and melted butter lobster roll. It is small and they don't take reservations, but they will take your cell number and call when a table is ready. You can wander around the North End in the meantime. If you just want a boiled lobster, don't go to a fancy restaurant where the mark up will be unreasonable. Lobsters are going for abut $4.99 a lb. in supermarkets now and just throwing them in a pot of boiling water does not justify a huge markup.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

I second the Summer Shack recommendation. There's one on Dalton St that my husband and I go to before we go to a Red Sox game. They have great fish tacos. If you want Italian, go to the north end. Any place is good. I'm not sure about Asian food in the city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

O Ya for sushi. Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain from Travel Channel have both named it one of the top 3 restaurants in the world. It is not traditional sushi, but it truly spectacular. It is not cheap, but it is well worth the price.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

"Neptune oyster in the north end gets mentioned a lot on these sites, but you'd be hard pressed to find people from the north end there or people from Boston. "

I guess the 10 times I've been there are a figment of my imagination. BTW, the lobster roll is not the best thing on the menu.

Ceviche: check out Rincon Limeno, in East Boston, for authentic and delicious Peruvian food. Definitely worth making an excursion out to East Boston for this place (it is a little out of the way).

Seafood: all decent restaurants here have good seafood. No need to make a special stop. The Summer Shack is just "OK". If you want lobster, it's not hard to make, so it will do. "Locals" don't eat lobster out. It's the easiest food to prepare at home, and you don't even have to do that! The supermarkets will steam them for you.

Banh mi: if you're wandering around Chinatown, you'll spot a few places. I like Mei Sum, on Beach St.

Asian foods (authentic). (We're coming from SF): Well, if you're coming from SF, there's really no need to have asian food here. I mean, picking up a banh mi is one thing, but sitting down for a full meal... why bother when you can get better stuff there?

9. Re: What are the locals fave spots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 07, 2013