We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best towns to visit on the Downeaster Route?

jaco
Level Contributor
85 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best towns to visit on the Downeaster Route?

Making an October trip and am trying to figure out the best spot to explore for an afternoon, prefer to catch some foliage. Leaving from Boston, anyone suggest the best places to check out along the Downeaster route?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best towns to visit on the Downeaster Route?

The Downeaster doesn't really travel through the heart of "foliage country," but at the right time in October you'll still see plenty of color. For a handsome town with historical interest (and lots of stately old trees), I think Exeter, NH might be your best bet on the route. Of course, if you want to go to the beach, Old Orchard Beach or Wells would make more sense.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best towns to visit on the Downeaster Route?

I can't speak to the stops in Maine, but it doesn't really stop anywhere spectacular in NH or MA. It sadly completely bypasses Portsmouth. Exeter might be fun to stop at for an hour or two, there's a little downtown, and you will see trees, but I think it's kinda a hike from the train stop.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best towns to visit on the Downeaster Route?

I'm confused. Are you driving along the Downeaster Route or are you going to get off stay somewhere, and leave again the next day?

4. Re: Best towns to visit on the Downeaster Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 09, 2013