We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Hello - I was wondering whether anyone can clarify the new (as of 10 Sept) Amtrak policy about checked baggage? I am travelling from New York to Boston in October. The Amtrak schedule shows "no checked luggage" for all trips. But if you click on the "no checked luggage", it takes you through to an explanation page and then a baggage policy which suggests checked baggage is accepted if the train station has facilities for it. As far as I can tell, both Penn Station, NY, and South Station, Boston, have baggage facilties. So I *think* I can have checked baggage? Can anyone clarify for me? I've sent a query to Amtrak but haven't received any response so far.

Ponce, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

I now have the same dilema, a year after your trip. How did it pan out? I will be traveling with my wife on Acela from NY Penn to Boston and thinking of the Red Cap service for our 4 pieces of luggage which we always check in on air travel. We would also have the traditional small carry ons.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

I didn't have any problem with my bags in the end (one large suitcase and two carry on size bags). Finding my way around Penn Station and actually finding the Red Caps was the bigger problem. I bought a business class ticket and that was worth it for the priority boarding as the station was chaos. The Red Caps were useful too (although I think I had the grumpiest one). It would have been difficult getting my bags down the escalator by myself.

Ponce, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Thanks a million. I owe you one. I feel at ease. By the way, I do remember Penn Station always being hectic!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Just to confirm, you were able to get large luggage onto the train that exceeded the baggage specifications?

We are travelling for 3 weeks in July and its going to be impossible for our baggage to meet the specs, I was worrying incase we wouldnt be able to use the train at all.

Edited: 3:44 am, January 22, 2014
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,039 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Nobody will check your luggage (in either definition of the word). If you can handle moving your luggage yourselves, you shouldn't have any issues. That includes being able to lift the luggage.

Edited: 6:27 am, January 22, 2014
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Thanks for the info Alanm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Very useful info re the Red Caps, thanks. The system is well-explained for NY-Boston but we are doing one-way Boston-NY at the end of August. Does the same trick with the Red Caps work? The alternative is that we are toying with treating ourselves to Business Class and I see that KylieQ mentioned priority boarding for Business Class. I don't see it mentioned on the Amtrak website so is that the case?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

I definitely got priority boarding because I was using the Red Caps but I can't remember any more whether that was also a condition on my business class ticket (I may have made an error earlier when I said it was because of the business class ticket). The Red Cap never even asked what class of ticket I had so I had to tell him it was BC or he was going to seat me in the wrong area.

Edited: 9:11 pm, January 27, 2014
Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Clare - the same applies for redcaps going Boston to NYC. Only difference is that there are less redcaps at South Station in Boston than in Penn Station in NY (none at Back Bay or Route 128/Westwood). Usually one or two redcaps working but I've never seen a line for them. South Station is very small so you'll have no problem finding them, you can ask where they are at the info booth if any problems locating them. They'll help with your bags no matter what your ticket class is, just tip them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Train travel New York to Boston - new Amtrak baggage rules

Does anyone have a connection at Amtrak? They should seriously clarify their website. How many people are confused by the "no checked bag" notice on the web?