We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

NJ, USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

I'm looking for a hotel outside Boston / Cambridge that is near the Red Line T for access to Harvard Square - any suggestions. We've stayed in Cambridge, Boston and as far away as Saugus and are looking for something reasonably priced that allows us to leave our car behind.

Thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

How about the Quincy Marriott? They have a shuttle to the Red Line

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

One end of the red line ends in Cambridge. At that Cambridge Alewife station (end of the line), the Best Western Hotel Tria is walking distance and a bit less expensive than centrally located Cambridge hotels (but not always)

Quincy is the bargain area on the red line. Look at the Quincy Marriott (often featured on LastMinuteTravel.com as a hidden hotel), and the Best Western Adams Inn. The Marriott has a shuttle to the T. Not sure whether the Adams is walkable or needs a shuttle.

Your question is very specific, but are you really looking for hotels with convenient T access to Harvard Square? They don't necessarily need to be on the red line. A train change is easy and there are more hotel options on the green line.

Is your goal to find a less expensive hotel? If not, then all centrally located Boston hotels have easy access to Harvard Square.

Feel free to ask a more specific question and includ dates and budget. You may get lots of helpful suggestions.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
205 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

I think that the first reply to your post has it correct with suggesting the

Boston Marriott Quincy

marriott.com/hotels/…

A second choice to consider

would be the Holiday Inn Express Braintree

hiexpress.com/hotels/…

You should allow about 40 minutes into Harvard Square, and you could check the MBTA website for maps and the trip planner in the rider tools

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

There's also the Courtyard Marriott in South Boston and the Holiday Inn Express on Boston St. in South Boston, both are near Andrew Station on the Red Line.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,803 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

I go for the Quincy Marriott .

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

The Doubletree next to the Bayside Expo Center is a bit closer than Braintree and Quincy and is a decent hotel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
43 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

I think other suggestions are good, but I will add one comment that's outside the box, i.e. red line.

There are many bus routes that go into Harvard Square. This should expand your search area.

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

This place near Davis Square sounds nice:

http://www.morrisonhousebnb.com/

it would be very convenient to the Red Line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

I wouldn't call Quincy a "Bargain" area, since that word has negative connotations. The Marriott is good and the Adams Inn is a hidden gem with waterfront views on the Neponset River. It's walkable to North Quincy, but it's a longish walk. Lots of restaurants nearby. I wouldn't recommend Quincy for going to Harvard because of the distance. Dorchester/Southie is closer, as stated above. It just seems like a hike if you have to be in Harvard Square.

I think you're better off asking for hotels near the T north of the city or in Cambridge/Somerville. Isn't there a hotel not far from the Lechmere T station?

Edited: 3:48 pm, May 01, 2013
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels outside Boston near Red Line T

The OP is almost a year old.