We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight parking at south station

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
overnight parking at south station

We are taking Peter Pan Bus to NYC and want to leave our car parked overnight at South Station. The only mention of parking on PP's website is "take the Red Line". So, can anyone tell us if there is overnight parking at South Station and the fee. Thanks!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight parking at south station

Here's the info on parking at South Station: mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…

It would be less expensive to park at Alewife (at the end of the redline): mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight parking at south station

FYI there are two other ways to park and get the Peter Pan bus or other busses to NYC: Riverside station off of Rt. 128/95 and the Logan Express Framingham station off Rt. 9 has parking and the Peter Pan bus to NYC. Sometimes South Station is just too much hassle for traffic.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight parking at south station

The Riverside Station is a great idea! Do you know if we would be allowed to park there overnight & if it is safe for the car.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight parking at south station

I'm not sure about the policy for overnight parking at Riverside; assuming it is allowed, it's a big, open lot. I wouldn't be particularly nervous about leaving my car there, but it's not very secure.

A better bet might be Woodland Station, the first inbound stop on the Riverside line, which has covered parking and explicitly (per the MBTA Web site) allows overnight parking for $7. It's less than a mile from Riverside.

Boston...
Level Contributor
131 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight parking at south station

While you can park at Riverside, but I am not sure overnight though, the Greenline T that services Riverside does not go to South Station, so you need to get off in Gov't Center and transfer to the Red Line or walk. I think Riverside is ~$6/day, but only takes cash.

The other idea is to park at at RT 128 Amtrak Station, if you are on the west side of Boston, and take the commuter rail in directly to South Station. I can't remember what the parking fee is, it's $5 for 14h or $12/day after that.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight parking at south station

Are you only leaving it for one night? Then leave it parked there, even if the rate is higher. You'll go crazy trying to save $10 or whatever.

Edited: 2:42 pm, June 26, 2012
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight parking at south station

You can park overnight at Riverside. I think it's probably safe enough--don't leave anything visible in your car and if should be fine. We've parked there for about 3-4 days and had no problems. Woodland (the next stop) could be a back-up.

And that's all if you don't want to pay the fee and drive into South Station.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,487 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: overnight parking at south station

What time will you be driving. Salem to Boston is bad enough, but Salem to Riverside on 128 at the 'wrong' time can be tough too. Then after you get there, it's 30+ minute ride to Park Street and a change to the redline? And travel a couple of stops to south staiton. Is it really worth it.

I'd either leave the car at South station or leave it in Salem and go coummuter rail/green line/red line ... at least you aren't driving in traffic and it's only a few stops on the subway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: overnight parking at south station

I recommended Riverside because I saw an earlier poster say the PP bus stopped there. But looking at their website, Riverside no longer seems to be a stop--Greyhound may stop there now but not PP.

So it would make no sense at all to park there and go into South Station. Driving to South Station and parking is your best bet.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: overnight parking at south station

Have you already locked in to Peter Pan? Worldwide Bus leaves directly from Alewife and you can park there overnight. My wife took it with no problems.

http://www.worldwidebus.com/