We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

Northwestern VT
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Topic
Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

We had planned to park at the Salem station and take the commuter train into the city (on a Saturday morning). But now I'm not so sure, as there are 4 of us, and it seems less costly to drive into Boston and park for the day rather than pay $36 in commuter fares. We'll be visiting the Quincy Market area and walking the Freedom Trail for a bit... not definite about the rest of our plans.

Any suggestions on where to park?

Any other suggestions for commuting in from Peabody?

Any other suggestions about anything at all? :-)

Thanks in advance!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

Hi Native,

With four of you, it doesn't make much sense to take the commuter rail, unless you are not comfortable driving into Boston.

My suggestion is to drive in and park at the Pi Alley garage, which is 5 minutes' walk from Quincy Market and Park St. and the beginning of the Freedom Trail. On weekends, it's a flat $8.00 rate for up to 10 hours of parking.

http://www.pialleygarage.com

Otherwise, if you wanted to take the T from Peabody, I'd suggest driving to Wonderland station in Revere, at the end of the Blue Line, and park there, take the train downtown. It's only $2.50 round trip for each of you, and I believe it's $3.00 to park. Also, it's a lot more convenient than the weekend schedule on the commuter rail. You can get off at State St. Station and you would be 1 block from Quincy Market.

http://www.mbta.com

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

I agree -- depending on the number of folks you are with it may make more sense to drive in to the city.

bostoncitylinks.com has a wonderful listing of garages in Boston. I would use that as a guide, and choose location of the garage based on the activities for the day. I usually park in the Boston Common garage. Weekend Rates Arrive after 6 AM on Saturday or Sunday and leave by 10 AM the next morning = $10.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

Driving in from Peabody isn't nearly as difficult as it used to be. Depending on where you are, take either Rt 1 South and come in over the Tobin Bridge - cough up that $3.00 toll, thank you very much - or Rt 95/128 South to I-93 and shoot straight into town.Take the exit marked "Gov't Center/Airport and head towards Gov't Center. Someone else correct me but I think that puts you at Haymarket Square. The Gov't Center Garage is right in front of you, or turn left onto Congress Street and you can make your way to the Dock Square garage or further down to the Post Office Square garage.

Post Office Square also offers a cheap weekend rate, and the best part is the garage is heated! Unless it has changed, I think it's around 7 or 8 bucks for the day.

Saturdays are quite busy downtown, and there's always things to see and do. You can walk to the North End and take the tour of the Paul Revere House, cut over to Salem Street and see the Old North Church, then up to Copps Hill to take in probably one of the lovelier views of Boston Harbor and the USS Constitution. Finish the afternoon off with a coffee and pastry at Mike's or Caffè dello Sport and soak in the local flavor

Northwestern VT
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

Thanks. These replies are all really helpful and exactly what I was hoping for!

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Peabody to Downtown Boston

I would avoid Route One South and use I95/128 to I93 South route. Route One has so much commercial traffic on the weekends that it can be a real hassle.

The parking garage at One Center Plaza on Cambridge St. opposite Boston City Hall offers $8 weekend parking and is a short walk to Quincy Market.

Check out www.northendboston, this is a great web page and it has a page on parking tips in Boston with a map and garage locator.