We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston june 1-june 5

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, tx
1 post
Save Topic
Boston june 1-june 5

dallas, Tx family,(2 adults and 12 yr old son), love lobster, history and road trips. We like some outdoors. Any auto routes with in town stuff to do? We would like to fly into boston, venture for a day or two, go traveling through country side and be back in a day or two. Don't have a clue what to do but when we leave boston, we will go to NY for 3 days. I need recommendations on hotels, places of intrests and is this possible?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston june 1-june 5

Would the only reason to rent a car be for your side trip out of Boston or will you be driving from Boston to NYC?

The reason I ask is that you don't need - or want - a car for the days you're in Boston, and you could train it via MBTA to the North Shore towns I'd recommend for your side trip: Salem and then either (or all) Gloucester, Rockport, Newburyport. Actually, Amtrak is now running a train from Boston to Portland, ME.

Can't say for certain since I've not priced a North Shore train junket recently, but my hunch is that costs of renting a car plus gas would be more than train tix. And taking the train -- either Amtrak or local commuter one -- means everyone can sit back, relax & enjoy the ride :-)

Have you thought about stopping off at Mystic, CT on your way down to NYC?

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston june 1-june 5

When do plan on visiting? The time of year will have a large impact on the type of responses you get, especially when it relates to outdoor activities.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston june 1-june 5

I would also recommend places like Rockport, and the towns on the north shore, but be aware that in many towns served by the commuter rail, getting from the train deposts to where you will want to explore could require a cab, and some towns don't even have those! Rockport's depot is a pleasant walk to bearskin Neck (the seaside art colony area), but it's close to a mile, and less enticing if the weather is brisk. Salem's depot is quite close to the center of town, but a couple attractions (House of Seven Gables, for instance) are a little over a mile away. Newburyport is a beautiful destination, but the train station is nowhere near the seaport area...

I'd recommend these places, but would rent a car. The fare to Rockport or Newburyport is $5 each, one way (half fare for kids), so it would cost you $25 (not including the cost of getting to North Station) for a one-day excursion there... Granted, you may pay for parking if you drive, but you also have to be aware that on weekends, the trains run very far apart (about 2 hours on the outer ends of the line), so convenience has to be considered. Also, you can see spots in these towns that you wouldn't be able to get to by walking... Hammond Castle in Gloucester is one example. It's a medieval Castle built on a rocky cliff overlooking the harbor... well worth the 3 mile trip from the center of town.

Especially since you're from Dallas, I'd think you'd enjoy the scenic drive along Rte 127 on Cape Ann, or perhaps up I-95 to Portsmouth, NH, then take Rte 1A along the coast of southern Maine to Ogunquit.

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston june 1-june 5

Coffee hadn't kicked in yet when I saw that you are coming June 1-5. Seeing as you are headed for NY for 3 days, renting a car would probably make sense. Driving north from Boston on I95 to route one along the Maine seacoast would be worth it. Newburyport's waterfront is a nice stop and if you are into art Rockport's Bearskin neck is a good choice. You might want to consider a harbor cruise from Boston's Long Wharf and explore George's Island with nice views of the Boston skyline. Another outdoor option is a charter fishing boat from the Charlestown Navy Yard www.strikecharters.com

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston june 1-june 5

For history, walk the Freedom Trail, visit Salem, MA, (Peabody Essex Museum; i.e., The P.E.M.), The House of The Seven Gables A day trip). Also, visit Lexington and Concord, MA, (a day trip), for Battle Green and the North Bridge where the first battles of the Revolutionary War were fought. Walden Pond ("Henry David Thoreau") is nearby). In the North End of Boston, be sure and visit the North Church. It is the sight of the display of lanterns that initiated Paul Revere's Ride to Lexington and Concord to warn the Colonials that the "British Are Coming", even though William Dawes ride was more successful and he was not captured.

Lobster is available in many restaruants in Boston, Newburyport, Salem and most oceanside cities and towns from Rhode Island to Maine. Ask your hotel concierge for recommendations.

Road trips to Cape Cod (via Route 6A), Maine, New Hampshire via Routes I95 or I93 and then local roads and The North Shore of Massachusetts via Route 127 are all excellent. As previously mentioned, many of these destinations are also available utilizing commuter rail or for Portland, ME Amtrak.