We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boone, Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

I've read through some of the posts here, but still can't quite make up my mind...I'll be in town from Sunday through Friday/Saturday and want to stay in a place that's not TOO far from the convention center (NOT the Hynes, but the other one), but convenient if I want to spend an hour or two "out" every night.

I'd prefer to stay in a Hilton property (Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites), but I'm not married to that idea. :)

I'm not opposed to using public transportation, but prefer a nice, safe, leisurely walk when possible.

Thanks in advance for all the good info!

Boston
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

the convention center is in the middle of nowhere- it is past downtown but i would pick a place in the financial district to stay...still has a bit of a nightlife and will be near the center

Boone, Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

convention center = the "Boston Convention & Exhibition Center" The one over near Summer & D Streets, according to my maps (sorry, I've only ever been to the airport before!) :)

Boone, Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

Ok...also found out that there is a shuttle provided to the convention from all "convention hotels," so perhaps being close to the convention isn't all that critical.

Here are the Hilton hotels on the list...which would be best to try to get a room at?

Doubletree Downtown - 821 Washington

Doubletree Guest Suites - 400 Soldiers Field

Embassy Suites Logan Airport - 207 Porter

Hilton Back Bay - 40 Dalton St

Hilton Boston Logan - One Hotel Drive

Of course, there are 26 other ones on the list, too...just thought I'd start with the ones I can actually get points for. :)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

based on location only i would attempt doubletree downtown or hilton back bay. check this site for ratings of the hotels.

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

The Seaport Hotel is out the front door of the Convention Center. The Silver line will get you to South Station and downtown. Not sure about the price compared to the Hilton but I would venture a guess that it is competative.

Boone, Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

Hmmm...didn't know about the Seaport. The maps are a bit confusing. Is I-90 still underground between the Seaport and the BCEC? I see that the hotel is right across from the World Trade Center, but 2-3 blocks (if allowing for the freeway) from the convention center...is that an easy/safe walk, or would we be navigating dark underpasses (after dark...not worried about daytime), etc.?

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Appreciated.

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

The area around the Seaport Hotel and Convention Center are still a work in progress. I90 is underground so you wouldn't be walking under darkened highway ramps. I guess the real question is whether being close to the Convention Center is the most important consideration. If it is then the Seaport Hotel fits the bill. If easy access to dining, shopping and Boston nightlife is a bigger priority then the Back Bay Hilton is a better choice. Of course there are many other choices that have been suggested on this forum that would also fit the bill.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

The Boston Harbor Hotel is by far the nicest setting of any of the hotels in Boston. If you are expensing it and aren't looking to save pennies reserve the harborside rooms vs. the "city view." You can walk to the convention center in ten minutes (I think).

None of the Hilton hotels in Boston are very exciting. On the other hand, yes the HHonors program is VERY appealing.

The Boston Harbor Hotel doesn't offer any hotel points but they do give 500 United miles per stay (I know, big deal!!!)

Back Bay isn't very convenient to the Convention Center and the Seaport Hotel isn't very convenient to anything but the convention center.

June is such a beautiful month in Boston and you may find the outdoor patio on the Boston Harbor at the Boston Harbor Hotel very appealing for drinks.

Boston is a great town, enjoy the seafood!!!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

The Boston Harbor Hotel is by far the nicest setting of any of the hotels in Boston. If you are expensing it and aren't looking to save pennies reserve the harborside rooms vs. the "city view." You can walk to the convention center in ten minutes (I think).

None of the Hilton hotels in Boston are very exciting. On the other hand, yes the HHonors program is VERY appealing.

The Boston Harbor Hotel doesn't offer any hotel points but they do give 500 United miles per stay (I know, big deal!!!)

Back Bay isn't very convenient to the Convention Center and the Seaport Hotel isn't very convenient to anything but the convention center.

June is such a beautiful month in Boston and you may find the outdoor patio on the Boston Harbor at the Boston Harbor Hotel very appealing for drinks.

Boston is a great town, enjoy the seafood!!!

Boone, Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attending Microsoft Tech Ed in June...which hotel? :-)

Thanks for the responses. Upon further review, it looks like I'd better stick to a "convention hotel" where I can get a reduced rate (my company caps the lodging allowance) which eliminates the Seaport and Boston Harbor properties.

Guess I'll take a closer look at the Hilton Back Bay...$180/night through the conference reservation system doesn't sound bad at all for the location, etc.

What's the easiest way to get there from the airport...taxi, shuttle or T? I'm looking for convenience rather than low price on the getting to/from the airport piece. :)

Thanks again for all the help!