We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
taxis

I am traveling with an 80-year-old woman, and coming home from dinner or from the theatre, we would prefer to take a taxi. I have read that taxis are not as prevalent in Boston as in other cities. Is there a phone number to call for a taxi? How scarce are they? (The most recent "taxi posting" is 2005, so I wanted to check now in 2011.)

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
665 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
563 Reviews
from $55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,091 Reviews
from $41.95*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: taxis

There aren't the quantity of taxis that there are in NYC, but no other city compares very well either, since NYC is so dependent on them But you'll be able to flag a cab down here (unless it's raining or snowing, of course). If you want to reserve a cab beforehand, you can call 617-782-5500 (Metro) or 617-825-4000 (ITOA).

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: taxis

There are plenty of taxis in Boston and each company has it's own number.

I use City Cab/Top Cab because they call my cell phone when the taxi is approaching so that I can wait in my home. They also have a lot of cars and drivers so they can respond faster.

http://topcab.us/

Phone: (617) 266-4800

Phone: (617) 536-5100

Many restaurants will be happy to call a taxi for you. If you are leaving a big event, scout out the nearest hotel before hand. There are often lines of taxis at the hotels. When a theatre lets out there can be a scramble for taxis.

There are parts of the city where it is difficult to get a taxi but not in the central areas where most visitors spend their time.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taxis

It's tough to get a cab in bad weather, during late afternoon shift changes and after last call. Otherwise, it's fairly easy especially if you're sticking to the beaten path.

It would probably be more difficult to find your pre-arranged cab after a show lets out than it would be to just walk a couple of blocks to hail one.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxis

It's not like NYC, but cabs are usually not hard to find. You might have trouble if you have a late night and try to get one when the bars let out at 2AM, but doesn't sound like a problem for you!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
30,837 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxis

No problem you should be ok.

6. Re: taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 17, 2012