We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrak promo codes

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
amtrak promo codes

hi all, wondering if anyone has valid promo codes for train want to do day trip bostin to nyc, just a couple of hours as i want to take my daughter to bleeker st for her birthday its her favorite st on the planet, so just quick lunch bit of shopping and back up to lovely Boston, any other suggestions on getting there as quick and cheap as possible, was thinking of limoliner but would be just 900 dollars for 5 so its a no to that, many thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak promo codes

oppps, sorry meant Boston,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrak promo codes

The cheapest possible Amtrak roundtrip fare between Boston & NYC is $98/person; children between the ages of 2-15 travel at 1/2 the price of an adult ticket. So if you have 2 adults + 3 kids traveling at 1/2 price, your total will be no lower than $343. And depending on the date you're thinking of doing this, you may have to pay appreciably more. Are you still interested in this quickie trip (you will be spending be at least 8-1/2 hours on the train in total, even if the trains are running exactly on schedule)?

Edited: 9:57 am, July 18, 2011
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak promo codes

I agree that there is no way to do a "quick trip" to NYC from Boston...it will be a day anyhow...you could always go with one of the cheaper buses..like Bolt or Megabus..but you are still looking at a minimum 4 hour drive each way. I don't mean to discourage you..it's doable..and if spending a couple of hours there will make your daughter's birthday special..then by all means go for it...just realize it will be a long day of traveling.

If I were going to NYC just for the day I would either fly or take the Amtrak.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak promo codes

the date is either 13 or 14 of august, i looked up prices and price im getting is 222 each way for us all, leave at 8.40 am arrive in nyc at 1.15 and leave at 7.05 pm get back to boston at 10.46 so still gives us a fair few hours there, iv done all the tourist things there over the last 2 summers, so lunch in carmines on 44 st after shopping would do nicely.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amtrak promo codes

oh she is nyc mad she would swop her home city dublin in a heartbeat, if i was there to sightsee as such i wouldnt do it but thats not the case just 1 or 2 shop we want to hit she loves the playground near the magnolia bakery and carmines so i dont think it will be so bad, and sure god knows when wel be lucky enough to get across the atlantic again so i have tooo, thanks guys

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amtrak promo codes

Hi Munchy..okay..that is a great price and if you can get it I would grab it immediately. I see on Amtrak that the weekend rates are considerably cheaper.

Wow..your daughter is going to be thrilled..sounds like a great birthday plan..

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: amtrak promo codes

Also..I agree..considering the distance you are coming from already....it would be a treat for her to visit NYC. I like NYC but only in short spurts...

At that rate..do the train..you can always sleep on the way back to Boston..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amtrak promo codes

I'm wondering if you should double-check the fares: there's a 7:05 PM train back to Boston only on Sunday the 14th (not August 13) and that's an Acela train (always more expensive than a Northeast Regional) with a 1-way fare of $114/adult. So it's not obvious to me how $444 can cover the cost of round-trip travel for a party of 5 -- using a Northeast Regional train down to NYC & the Acela back to Boston -- even if there are 3 kids traveling at 1/2 price. The total price that keeps coming up for me for that particular itinerary is $574. Which may be fine with you, but wanted to alert you to the possible snafu.

P.S. I ran through Amtrak's discount codes & there's none currently available that you could take advantage of.

Edited: 10:46 am, July 18, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amtrak promo codes

Thanks your right I mixed the times with different days but even using the express train its still cheaper than limoliner so il book tomorrow, def a birthday treat , thanks for all the help xx

10. Re: amtrak promo codes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 10, 2012