We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

hello, we fly in next week and have one night at the Westin Waterfront - we get in around 6:30 p.m. and will take the SL1 over to the hotel. I've done some searchiing on restaurants that are right there to walk to (on the water) for a casual dinner (12 and 13 year old w/us). Any recommendations? Everything seems to be pricey/too nice after a long travel day or doesn't get great reviews (Yelp). We are open to traveling into downtown if it's a fairly easy/short trip that evening.

The next day we have friends flying in and we have the Marriott Long Wharf for several nights. We'll have the week transportation pass but logisitically getting there seems to be a pain (via bus/ subway, transfer, subway, transfer, subway). We are all perfectly capable of walking and it's just about a mile. Question: is it a safe walk, traffic and/or construction wise? We'll have carry-on size roller bags. And would you recommend walking Seaport or Summer street?

I've also considered taking a bus back to the Blue line transfer by the airport and taking a direct shot in from there to the Aquarium stop.

Thank you!

Edited: 11:18 am, June 23, 2011
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

Yankee lobster is close and the prices are reasonable. Salvatores is also casual, quiet and good food.

The seaport area is very safe.

Sebastians is good for a breakfast sandwhich and lunch, cafeteria style and decent prices.

I would take a cab to the Mariott.

Edited: 11:45 am, June 23, 2011
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

Jerry Remy's on the waterfront is a nice, casual sports bar with decent food. There's also a couple of Legal Seafoods which would be good, and I believe they have children's menus as well.

Sebastians is fine for basic Italian food, and there's also a Legal Test Kitchen with decent food, less focused on seafood if you don't want that.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

I think Beantown means salvatores is fine for basic Italian food. He is right, but this place is close to the hotel and very relaxing and very casual.

Jerry Remy's and The New legals and the other 2 places on this wharf, are all very nice, but very busy at the moment. Forget about getting a place at the bar, or dining in a quiet atmosphere. That being said, I like them.

Sebastians is strictly for a breakfast sandwich and very good coffee, or an inexpensive lunch, the chicken pot pies being a great choice.

Edited: 1:01 pm, June 23, 2011
Boston
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

The first floor of the new Legal's is casual. The second floor is nicer with a more expensive menu. They take reservations by floor. You should probably make a reservation especially if it is the weekend or a convention is in town or there is a concert at the Bank of America Pavillion.

You can make your way to the Marriott Long Wharf along the very pleasant Harbor Walk. Walk over toward the ICA museum and the Harbor Walk runs along behind. Just follow it (although it is not marked, it is fairly obvious, except when you get to the old rusty Northern Ave. bridge go over it and down the stairs to right, not straight) and you will end up at Long Wharf. When you get to the two huge concrete apartment towers called Harbor Towers you will be almost there.

Edited: 2:48 pm, June 23, 2011
Boston
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

By the way, the new Legal's down in the Seaport area is called Legal Harborside.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but there is a faux Irish pub in your hotel. Not bad for burgers and such.

Edited: 2:55 pm, June 23, 2011
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

For a real casual "dinner" , pick up luncheon meats from J Pace & Son and have a nice picnic on the back stairs of the ICA overlooking the Boston Harbor. (There's also a Wolfgang Puck's Water Cafe that is open to the public at the ICA. It is open until 9 on Thursday and Friday nights.)

Enjoy!

Edited: 3:01 pm, June 23, 2011
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

BTW, if you are at the Westin on a Thursday night, the ICA is offers free admission to their museum on Thursday's after 5 PM.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

Yes, sorry. I meant to say Salvatore's Italian restaurant is good for basic Italian food. Their pizza is actually quite good. Sebastians is a breakfast/lunch place which is fine if you are looking for a good breakfast place near your hotel.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

If you walk to the mariott, plan on carrying your suitcases over the Northern Ave Bridge. I do this walk all the time from the seaport hotel. I think with bags, between the bricks, cobble stone, and bridge, you will want to take the cab for the $10-$12.00.

10. Re: Staying at Westin Waterfront - ? re: dinner + transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 02, 2012