We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

Hi, Fellow Travelers!

I am from Ohio, and I am trying to plan a restful weekend getaway. It's likely that we will fly into Boston. We are interested in going to a B&B near a beach, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions. How far of a drive would it be from Boston to any of the Cape Cod towns?

Edited: 11:27 am, June 07, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

It is just over an hour (without traffic) from Boston to the closest part of Cape Cod. It is about two and a half hours (without traffic) to Provincetown, the most distant part of Cape Cod (by road). The closest Cape Cod towns to Boston are Sandwich and Bourne. Those two towns have a somewhat suburban character, though I'm sure they have their appeal. Most people on vacation prefer to stay a little farther out on the Cape in towns such as Brewster, Harwich, and beyond.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Bourne
Bourne
Cape Cod, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

Sandwhich has the Belfry Inn.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,091 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

Most of us believe the Cape "begins" as soon as you cross over the canal. So you could find nice places in Sagamore or Bourne or Sandwich which are all near the canal.

However, my concern is with your desire to be here on a "weekend". If you plan to drive to the Cape after say 1pm on a Friday and return between noon and 6 on a Sunday you'll hit LOTS of traffic. If you can time it to arrive early on Friday and leave early or late on Sunday or better yet, stay until mid-day Monday, your commute will be a lot easier.

Although road improvements have helped, traffic still backs up.

Mentioned in this post
Bourne
Bourne
Cape Cod, MA
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

Thank you very much! Your post is extremely helpful to us. We know what you mean about the "suburban" feel ;-) Hope you have a great summer!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

YES--we understand weekend traffic jams. We hope to leave on a TUESDAY. Hopefully, that will help.

6. Re: Closest Cape Cod Area to Boston?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 03, 2012