We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in the winter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boston in the winter

I'm going to Boston for the day with a special friend ;). Any suggestions on what to do for the day? I know he'd like to see the Sam Adams brewery but other than that I'm not sure what would be worth our trip to Boston. We're going at the end of this month on a Saturday. What's there to do in the winter?

I've never been there so any suggestion is welcomed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Boston in the winter

If you're only here for a day, I guess you're not staying in a hotel? We don't get many people coming to Boston from KY "for the day", unless it's a layover, or passing through enroute to somewhere else.

I admit that I only "scanned" all the other suggestions. I noticed that you responded favorable to MIT. Based on that, I highly encourage you to spend at least part of the day in Harvard Square. It's a marvelous mix of everything from shopping to museums to every type of dining you could want. (Central Square, one stop away on the Red Line subway) is also full of all sorts of ethnic dining options) Harvard Square has got a cultural mix that is uniquely offset by the typical New England architecture of Harvard University.

I've never done the Sam Adams tour, but from my understanding, it's not near anything else of general interest to "tourists", so you may be pleased to know that there are other "micro-breweries" in Boston and Cambridge, that may not have tours, they DO have all sorts of interesting brews made on-site.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Boston in the winter

Here is recent Trip Advisor review of the Harpoon Brewery tour by someoine from the U.K.

"If you've a couple of hours free on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday afternoon, then it would definitely be worth your while to check out a testing session at the Harpoon Brewery. We went expecting the usual tour followed by a freebie, but instead found ourselves sitting at a bar for 45 very enjoyable minutes sampling six of Harpoon's current brews. The guide/barman made the whole thing great fun as he explained about the brewery and its products.

Much easier to get to than the Sam Adams equivalent (which, I am told, isn't actually a brewery) - just take the Silver Line from South Station and get off at Tide Street - and it's completely free. I've no idea about driving there, but a car would certainly be useful for taking home crates or Growlers.

Just a huge shame that Harpoon's products aren't yet available in the UK".