We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cambridge area, fun/bar/music for mid 40 crowd?

Vermont
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cambridge area, fun/bar/music for mid 40 crowd?

Hi, My hubby and I are taking a long awaited weekend to go see Les Mis and hang out in Boston. The Cambridge area is one of our favorites, though I don't know it that well. We are upper 40's but still love to dance (doesn't have to be be live music), not wall to wall crowded, good food and bar an added plus. Any ideas? Thanks so much, Jenny from Vermont

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cambridge area, fun/bar/music for mid 40 crowd?

It's hard to find a dancing place in Boston that's NOT crowded. However there is an Indie bar which is spacious enough to house the 25-40 crowd. I know the night is called Toast, I've been there twice with friends. Usually they play 80's on Saturday and it's a lot of fun, great bar, and giant retro sofas. It's located in Somerville/Cambridge so you will have to take a cab. I suggest taking it from Central or Davis Square. However, I think you'll really enjoy dancing there. Also, try to have dinner at Zuzu, an eclectic place to eat and listen to djs right next door to the Middle East. They have the best avocado quesidillas I've ever had, a very nice bar, and extremly good Moquitos with Fresh Mint.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cambridge area, fun/bar/music for mid 40 crowd?

Hi JennyVT,

You could go to Ryles located at 212 Hampshire St. in Cambridge??? If you click on their site:

www.rylesjazz.com

Click on February's schedule and most of the month on each day they have some one different there showing. They have a Dance hall on the 2nd flr. and their Main Stage is on the 1st flr. evidently. You could get something light to eat here as well. They have a GREAT Sunday Jazz Brunch, which I know is very good, it's so good that you have to make reservations ahead of time. Sometimes it's closed for a private party during the week, so check their site out to see what you think about this place.

If you're in Harvard Sq. and are wondering where to go? You could check out the Regatta Bar @ the Charles Hotel??? It's located at 1 Bennett St. to see what you think about it there. My friends and I were here, we had dinner at Rialto's at Christmastime in this Hotel and it was GREAT here! We had a table that overlooked their skating rink outside! You'll see it as you're walking in to the Hotel, it's where a lot of activity is going on now out there! Afterwards every one seemed to be heading in to Henrietta's Table just across the lobby from Rialto's restaurant after skating. It's quite good here too, especially for breakfast!

You know what you could do is look for a copy of the Improper Bostonian or the Stuff At Night magazine when you are in Boston visiting, you'll see them located on street corners or at magazine stands and they'll list a lot of good spots to go to with excellent write ups on various places.

I know that Johnny D's Uptown Restaurant & Music Club is a fun place to go to! It's located right across the street from the Davis Sq. red line "T" station. It's very easy to get to if you're in Boston visiting. You can view it online to see what you think:

www.johnnyds.com

Sculler's Jazz Club located at the Doubletree Guest Suites at 400 Soldier's Field Rd.in Boston is having some one there this weekend that sounds GREAT and guess who it is? It's Danny Aiello on Feb. 12th in their Club. You can go online now to their site to see what you think about it:

www.scullersjazz.com

I can't wait to see this black comedy "Stiffs" when it comes out, they filmed most of it right around Boston.

Well that's about it from this end, you have plenty to see and do while you're visiting!

Lucky's is one more place that I HAVE to tell you about. It's one of my favorites...it's located at 355 Congress St. in Boston. They have a Frank Sinatra impersonator on Sunday nights, he's incredible, if he's not there, they have jazz there, it gets WAY too crowded for me now though. It used to be SO good when it first opened, now it's a little much!

On March 4th at the Somerville Theater located at 55 Davis Sq. is a really great show that I'm going to see, they're an Irish group and the show is called "Dervish", if you want to check out this site, they have music from Russia, Portugal, Spain, Africa and Ireland with different dates for their shows, it's REALLY good, just click on Concerts and you'll see all of them:

www.worldmusic.org

Have a wonderful weekend!