We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legal Seafood-Harborside status

North Carolina
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Legal Seafood-Harborside status

Does anyone know the status of the opening of the floors of this restaurant?

Their website says one floor is open in this 20,000 sq. ft. place (wow...huge!!) but says the other two should be open in the spring.

I'm looking for a place to eat for just two on a Saturday night with a great harbor view and a full bar (neither of us are big beer or wine fans).

For a first time visitor to Boston, this seems like an interesting and exciting (but maybe a bit touristy) restaurant.

Thanks...Mike

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

Is there really a question here? If you like what you see, you're only going to be able to eat on one floor anyway, so make that reservation.

Edited: 11:12 pm, May 21, 2011
North Carolina
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

Yeah, actually my post contained a question mark so I think there was a "question" somewhere in there.

If you didn't understand the question or don't know anything pertinent about the Legal Seafood Harborside location, why even give a smart "a" response?? (Yes, that "?" means a question).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

I've searched online for you with no luck. One website claims the other floors were to open in May. I suggest you just shoot them an email to get accurate information: http://www.legalseafoods.com/contact-us

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

129pages,

You're right. I guess I just didn't understand why the question, not the question itself. Mahj's answer was much better.

Edited: 6:17 am, May 22, 2011
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

Legal Seafood is a chain restaurant and yes, I would say it is aimed at a tourist crowd. It's mass-produced food that is fresh and average.

It does have a harbor view but in this city, harbor view and great food do not relate. Here's a discussion of all the restaurants that have opened recently on that part of the harbor, including some good and bad comments about legal.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/784392

It has its fans but I find you get a far better seafood dinner at dozens of other places around the city.

Right now food lovers are raving about Island Creek Oyster Bar near Fenway Park. The food is fresh( and when possible local) the service is great, and if you are a cocktail person, it had some of the top people in the city running the bar program. No harbor view but you will remember the meal, drinks and service.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/742750

Why not have a drink and perhaps appetizer with the view and then go elsewhere for a great meal?

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

Mike,

The last I heard was the 2 upper floors were due to open sometime in early June. Like anything else, construction probably fell behind a little.

The 2nd floor is where the fine dining will be, and the 3rd floor will be a roofdeck.

If your goal is to eat in the 2nd floor dining room, then you might want to call ahead to see where things stand.

Reviews have been very good so far. Everyone seems to love what Legal has done with the former Jimmy's Harborside space.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,270 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

I think you'd enjoy eating at the new Legal on the harbor. Sure, a lot of tourists go to Legal Seafood, but that's because it's so well-known.

And, at any given time, most of their restaurants are filled with local people. There aren't many, if any, tourists out in Chestnut Hill for lunch and dinner at Legal and the whole restaurant is full most of the time.

The quality is excellent and the food is very good. I say go for it, especially if it's a nice night.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

The first floor is the more casual option. It is supposed to somewhat replicate the original Inman Square location. The 2nd floor is supposed to be a nicer dining room, and the third floor an outdoor roofdeck. Not sure exactly when 2 and 3 are opening. Soon, though, I think.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

I can see your concern in the construction of this or any restaurant, before you decide to dine. The first floor is a restaurant in itself and one does not see or hear the construction going on upstairs.

The last time by, the construction of the upper levels, was pretty near done, and that was two weeks ago.

Definetely check this place out. The bar on the first floor is pretty nice.

10. Re: Legal Seafood-Harborside status

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, May 24, 2012