We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please your advise for a nice hotel!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NL
5 posts
Save Topic
Please your advise for a nice hotel!

In the last week of November I will visit Boston for a few (4) days on my own. Now I'm looking for a nice hotel, not too expensive, that is situated well, so that I can go out in the evening quite safely and find some nice restaurants in the neighbourhood. After some internet-searching I thought the Boston Park Plaza hotel could be appropriate; what is your opinion about this hotel? Is this suitable for a woman travelling on her own? Is this hotel situated well?

I will arrive on thanksgiving day in the afternoon. I suppose a lot of restaurants are closed that day. But does anybody has a good advise where to have diner (on my own again!) that evening?

Thank you in advance!

Boston...
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

Although the Park Plaza is a little older than some of the top notch hotels in Boston, it's still perfectly fine (I booked a room for my parents in there for graduation). The location is very good (just blocks away from Back Bay and South End), and their rates tend to be pretty reasonable.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

The Park Plaza gets uneven reviews for its rooms but I'm sure they're perfectly adequate. You can't put much stock in what people have to say when they post their opinions. Those accustomed to house-sized hotel rooms with king-size beds and Jacuzzis and full bars can be unkind! Bear in mind that it's an "older" 1920's building, albeit fully modernized. Its lobby and the function rooms are quite elegant, but I don't let things like that totally sway me either.

My favorite place to eat in the vicinity is M.J. O'Connor's, an Irish pub located within the hotel. Others swear by Legal Sea Food, Todd English's Bonfire steakhouse, McCormick & Shmick seafood, and Maggiano's Italian restaurant, all either right in the hotel or steps away. Aujourd'hui, in the Four Seasons Hotel across the street, is "everybody's" favorite for a swank French meal. O'Connor's is the most likely of that group to remain open on Thanksgiving.

The Park Plaza is at the confluence of Boston's theater district, South End, and Back Bay. It CAN get a tad bit "sketchy" at night, so try to stay on well-lit and busy streets like Boylston, Columbus, and Stuart once it's much past about 8 or 9 PM. When the weather is good, there will be many people out and about to go out for dinner or catch a show, so there shouldn't be any worry.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

I just returned from my weekend in Boston w/ my mother. We had a great time and walked everywhere. We stayed at the Millenium Bostonian and our balcony looked right over Quincy Market. If you are by yourself this is a great place to stay. It's proximity to Quincy Market gives you access to tours, restaurants, and the wharf and shops. Boston is a very walkable city. We walked everywhere we went. The Millenium is also a five minute walk from the North End and all the Italian food and pastries you could possibly want. This is a very safe area and close to public transportation. I found the staff there to be very attentive and helpful. My mom is 67 and didn't have any trouble walking where we went. I would caution to have a good pair of sturdy flat walking shoes as a lot of the streets are cobblestone and very tricky to walk on. Hope this helps. Have fun. Also, my guess is that if you stay in a good hotel they will have a special Thanksgiving dinner planned for their guests.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

I love the Lenox Hotel. Charming, service oriented, not too expensive. Very old school. It is in Back Bay, just off Newbury Street, where shopping and food abound in s community setting. Plus Copley Square is only a couple of blocks away. Huge urban center/mall. Have fun in Boston!

Boston...
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

As it turns out, my parents will be visiting me around Thanksgiving, and I've narrowed the list of hotels to the Charlesmark, Marriott Copley, and Jurys. All have rooms available under $200, are in good locations, have availability, and are highly rated. You may want to check those out as well...

NL
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

Thank you for all your advises! I searched a lot on the Internet and finally I found an offer for the Park Plaza at $85 dollar a night. I think that is a very good offer so I decided to stay in that hotel.

Is it possible to have a nice breakfast in the neighbourhood over there, or do I have to heve my breakfast in the hotel?

Boston...
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

Definitely walk outside the hotel for breakfast. There are lots of little shops and places to eat very close by. Just walk up two blocks north to Boylston Street or Newbury Street. For example, Parish Cafehttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60745-d321924-Reviews-Parish_Cafe-Boston_Massachusetts.html

8. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 pm, December 08, 2004
NL
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please your advise for a nice hotel!

Thank you for all your help! Last week I had a very pleasant stay in the Park Plaza Hotel, in a beautiful room with a queen bed, for $85 dollar a night, by booking the hotel via www.bostonhotels.net. The atmosphere in the hotel was very friendly, and I felt welcome. I can recommand this hotel to all of you!