We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weigh in on the Nightlife

Houston, TX USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weigh in on the Nightlife

4 people (2 guys/2 girls) ranging from 30-33 in Boston Friday-Monday. These are the clubs/bars that I've found. We like fun, trendy, older clubs with preferably some dancing. A mix of music (techno/hip-hop/current) would be great too. Thumbs up or down on these?

Aria

Avalon

Envy

The Exchange

The Rack

Felt

The Living Room

Sissy K's

It would be nice not to spend an arm & leg for drinks and cover charge. Seems like most places serve food, is this really the case?

Thanks!

Boston Crawling
Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Boston Pizza Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
The Black Rose
Bars & Clubs, Performances
Improv Asylum
Comedy Clubs, Theaters
Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weigh in on the Nightlife

Aria/Avalon - younger, good dancing food quesntionable, very club like

Exchange - only Fri/Sat later, food questionable, dancing downstairs, lounge upstairs

Envy ???

Rack - some dancing, often a band, many, many pool tables, bar food, office crowd early, then 20's - 30's

Living Room - never had the food, not much dancing, more lounging, popular later 20's - 30's

Sissy K's - pretty divey, dancing w/youngsters

I would eat somewhere else, food is usually not good and overpriced

Houston, TX USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weigh in on the Nightlife

Yeah, we weren't planning to eat at these places, I just found it interesting that food is served everywhere! In Houston, you're either a restaurant or a club but not usually both. Thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to having some fun in Boston!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weigh in on the Nightlife

I'd add Gypsy Bar to the list as well. The only place I would absolutely recommend against is Sissy K's. It's pretty gross and the crowd is very young.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weigh in on the Nightlife

If you're worried about the age factor I'd stay away from Avalon for sure. The music can be great, (Most big DJs tend to perform there) however the Fenway area is surrounded by colleges (as I realize most of Boston is) and definitely has a younger vibe. But do expect to find college students wherever you go, but rest assured there will be plenty in your age set as well.

Out of your list, I'd recommend Felt. The Theater District in general tends to skew a bit older. (As do Beacon Hill and Back Bay bars, but they also tend to be "lounge" type places or more of a club than a bar...in other words, you probably wouldn't find the music range you're looking for). In my experience Felt is just a lot of fun and there are many other bars and clubs near by so hopping is not a problem.

The South End is also a fabulous place to go out. Lots of trendy and interesting restaurants and bars.

Many places do serve food, but it's more of upscale bar-fare than a full menu.