We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do we do?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What do we do?

Hi Everyone, myself and my husband (both late 20's) will be celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary in Boston. We arrive on 22nd Sept for 3 nights, we are staying in the Westin on Copley Place. We have never been to Boston before and would really love some recommendations for the following: Good fun places to eat and drink (Italian or American style food), a nice place for a romantic meal, sights that are a must to see and also recommendations of the best places to shopping. We don't mind splashing out for the odd meal or drink. Thanks in advance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do we do?

My favorite restaurant in Boston is the Franklin Cafe on Shawmut Ave in the South End... on a nice day, a pleasant 15 minute walk from Copley Place. The atmosphere is intimate, but it's small, and can get somewhat busy on weekend evenings. They don't take reservations, but turnover is relatively fast... they don't offer dessert. Entrees range in the high teens to low twenties. Fantastic cocktails!

For Italian, Maggiano's in Park Square has a fantastic menu... it's all ala carte. There is also a tiny little place on Columbus Ave, also in the South End, called Anchovie's. Don't be put off by the name... I've eaten here for years, and never encountered a single anchovy. The entrees are very reasonable ($12 max), and the (personal) pizzas are excellent. Like the Franklin, this is a small neighborhood place... basically, a bar with dining booths.

Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do we do?

Thanks for that JS I'll check those out.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do we do?

Hi,

For Italian food, you absolutely should visit the North End neighborhood, which is the italian area. Lots of wonderful restaurants, pastry shops and cafes as well.

My favorite restaurants in the North End are the Daily Catch, if you like seafood (especially calamari), Antico Forno, which is Tuscan-style, with a wood-fired oven and great grilled meats, etc. For a more upscale Italian/Contintental experience, I like Sage restaurant. It's tiny, but they take reservations and the food is fantastic. I think it would make a nice place for that romantic meal (it's pricey, though, so be warned). All of these are in the North End. If you like desserts and Italian pastry, make a trip to Mike's pastry. It's a great place to get a sugar high.

For a real "Boston" eating experience, and definitely American all the way, go to Durgin Park, which is in Quincy Market. They have the best deal on Prime Rib, their New England Clam Chowder is great, too. They also have great Roast Turkey dinner, Corned Beef and Cabbage, and New England baked Schrod. For a real unusual and New Englandly treat, try the Indian pudding for dessert (it's a traditional New England dessert of cornmeal mush sweetened with molasses and served with vanilla ice cream).

Another fun restaurant, and probably more of an American thing, is Fire and Ice. It's an "Improvisionational Grill" (they call themselves that). Basically, you choose your meal from a raw bar with meat, sausages, seafood, veggies, noodles, etc., and another bar with different types of cooking sauces. Then, you take your raw food to the grill, and they stir fry it for you. It's all you can eat, and it's fun. http://www.fire-ice.com

As far as sights to see, definitely walk the Freedom Trail and also, you might want to consider a Duck tour, too. The Freedom Trail is a self-guided walking tour of the central Boston area and most of the main historic attractions around the city. The Duck Tours, they use WWII amphibious vehicles to take you around the city, and into the Charles River as well.

Take a walk down Newbury St. in the Back Bay. It's Boston's fashionable shopping street, with art galleries, outdoor cafes and most of the "beautiful people" around there too.

I'm sure that the concierge at your hotel can give you the specifics of all of these places, and I believe that the restaurants I mentioned are all rated here on TripAdvisor, too.

There's so much more to do, the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum, the Science Museum, the Harvard Natural History Museum and Art Museum. , etc.

Have fun!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What do we do?

You picked a great spot to begin your trip. The Westin is very centrally located. Near Newbury Street, Prudential Center Mall, great resturants and is located on the green line so you have easy access to the T and all the sights along the green line. If you're going to eat Italian you must go to Boston's own "Little Italy" located in the North End of Boston you have your choice of fabulous Italian Resturants. I recommend Mama Maria which offers a romantic atmosphere in a converted town house. Also The Capitale Grille is expensive, located on Newbury Street but features American Style Steak and so on. If you like a view and not-the-best but okay food you can't beat Top of the Hub located in the Prudential center. A great intimate place to grab a drink is Solas Irish pub at the bottom of the Lenox, or if you want a place to be "seen" try Sonsie on Newbury Street for wonderful tastes and drinks. One of the more romantic resturants, but French food is L'Espalier on 30 Glocester Street for an evening to remember. For upscale shopping there are tons of botiques on Newbury Street easy to get to from your hotel, and right next to your hotel there are a variety of shopping places in the Copley Plaza Mall. For sightseeing you might want to get a Go Boston Card or Boston Explorer Pass to do things in Boston like The Freedom Trail, Museum of Fine Arts, Aquarium, Duck Tour, Trolley Tours, Boat Cruises, etc.

Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do we do?

Thanks for all your replies, I'm really looking forward to it now.

North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do we do?

At the Westin try to obtain a room on one of the highest floors for the view.